Re: [MOL] chemotherapy for Stage III colon cancer /REPLY [00834] Medicine On Line

on 12/26/00 1:50 PM, RynLA@aol.com at RynLA@aol.com wrote:

> Lillian,
>
> Thank you for your responce regarding my father.  We are in Los Angeles and
> our oncologist is at Cedar's Sinai Hospital, a Dr. Fred Rosenfelt.  If you
> can check him out I would appreciate it.  My father just started therapy
> today, it is for 5 days out of 28 day cycle for 6 months.  5FU and Leucovoran
> ?  What do you mean by 3 prong and 2 prong?  I am led to believe that this is
> the standard chemo for colon cancer.  I have heard of CPT-11 but I thought
> that was for when the first attempt is not responsive.  Please tell me
> more...I am just beginning to learn more about all of this.  My father is
> about 6 weeks out of surgery, tumor penetrated bowel wall but there is no
> visible spread to liver and lymph nodes came back negative. I could use all
> the help I can get....thanks.

dear ryan.  i hop you get theis as i am not verry good on the computer.  I
have had colon cancer for 3 years.  3 surguries the last one on nov. ll 00.
also stage three.  penatrated the colon wall on the last 2 bsut no
spreading.  I had 5 fu and luc. on the first go round and it only worked for
a few months.  had the 2nd surgery 7 months later.  then cpt ll for 11
months. then the blood markers stared to go up again (cea and ca 19-9 test
s)  Make sure they do those for your dad every 2 weeks to see if the chemo
is working.  they did ct scans and pet  scans but weren't sure is there was
another tumor or just seeds (cancers cells that haven't grown into tumors
yet).  so the next go round was with cpt ll and xeloda (a 5fu pill taken 3
twice a day for 14 days following the cpt ll.  If your dad needs cpt ll
tell him to insist that they give it to him over 24 hrs and not the 90
minute infusion that the insurance co. wants them to do.  It has to be
givenin a  hospital and the ins. co. don't want to pay for it.  however the
  24 hr. routine almost totally eliminated all the side effects.

also tell your dad to call his insurance co. and ask if they have a case
manager program.  if so sign up.  no extra cost and then you only have one
person and one phone no. to call.

also all the prayers from all the people you know and the power of positive
thingking really do work.  start a journal and write down every thing.  keep
charts of your blood marker tests. and keep a blessing journal and why you
want to live.  alll of these theings help.

and don't forget to ask for help.  you don't have to do it all yourself.
and rest when your tired.  It takes 6 to 8 weeks to start to feel somewhat
normal and a while after that to not feel the terrible faatique in the late
afternoon and evening.

I', doing  well and am very positive after this last surqery.

good lluck and write again.    (antiques@freeway.net)
dd
'

and