[MOL] a study about cancer information-seeking [00127] Medicine On Line

[MOL] a study about cancer information-seeking

Dear List Members,

My name is Tamar and I am a Ph.D. student in health communication. I have
been conducting a study that examines information seeking of cancer
patients and their family members and friends. The topic is very important
(as I'm sure you agree), but there are practically no studies that take
the perception of patients, survivors and families as their focus.

This study has been approved by the University of New Mexico Institutional
Review Board (proposal # 99377).

If you are willing to share you experiences in information seeking with
me, I would greatly appreciate it. Your participation in the study will
consist of answering a series of questions in regards to your experiences
in information seeking (who in the family engages in information seeking?
What kind of sources did you find useful, etc.), how it influenced your
communication with drs. and whether you considered participating in
trials. You can be interviewed over the phone, or using e-mail. The length
of time of phone interview is approximately 15-25 minutes.

Please understand that your participation in the study is completely
voluntary. You are free to stop answering questions at any time, as well
as to answer only the questions you choose. I will be using the
information for a research report, but your name will not be attached to
the report (as well as any other information that you do not wish to be
shared). Also, I will provide you with a copy as soon as a first draft
would be compiled, so you can comment on it.

If you agree to participate, please let me know either by email or phone.
If you would like me to call you, I would be happy to do so, just tell me
when.

Please understand that you are not waiving any of your legal rights by
agreeing to participate. If you have any questions, I would be happy to
answer them.

I already wrote two papers on this topic that were very well received. One
of them received the top paper award at the University of Oklahoma
Communication Scholar Conference. I am looking forward to explore more
aspects and talk to more people about cancer information seeking.

If you are willing to be interviewed, please contact me at: Tamarg@unm.edu
or: Tel: 505-24308244. Let me know if you prefer phone or email interview.

I know it's hard to take the time and energies and I appreciate any help!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Cordially,

Tamar Ginossar
Department of Communication and Journalism
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131

Tamarg@unm.edu
Tel: 505-24308244.