Re: [MOL] MGN-3 [01369] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] MGN-3

To Beav, Marty, tarnknight and anyone else interested in MGN-3.

Here is the shortest and best summary I've seen of the clinical
research on MGN-3.  I'm not sure how you define "expensive."
It costs $1 per pill.  Recommended dosages are 12 per day for
about 2 weeks for people with diagnosed cancer.  Gradually over
the next 6 weeks, the recommended dosage reduces to 4 per day.
Each capsule is 250 mg.  One of the immune system tests which
Marty referred to is the "51 Chromium release assay" test.  It
is mentioned in the following report.  I will also include, if
my fingers don't give out, a letter from the discoverer of MGN-3,
Dr. Ghoneum, with his advice on this compound.  I have absolutely
no financial interest in MGN-3 or any other product.

You can order it by calling CompassionNet at (800) 510-2010.

To your health!

Bill Henderson

MUSHROOM AMMUNITION
copyright Alternative Medicine Digest, May 1999

Dr. Mamdooh Ghoneum of Charles Drew University of Medicine and
Science in Los Angeles compares current cancer treatment to
battling terrorists.  By bombing a city, you can kill most
terrorists, although innocent civilians will also be killed.
"Chemotherapy, radiation or surgery are the cancer-equivalents
of bombing," he says, "and the beneficial white blood cells in
the area are non-terrorist victims."

Even after bombing, however, some terrorists may survive, as
do those cancer cells that are resistant to the usual therapies.
Rather than bombing the city again, however, Dr. Ghoneum advocates
sending in Special Forces to locate and eliminate the remaining
terrorists one by one.

Dr. Ghoneum's development of a natural supplement called MGN-3 is
meant to arm the body's Natural Killer cells to seek and destroy
dangerous invaders one by one.

The human immune system is comprised of more than 130 subsets of
white blood cells.  About 15% of them are called Natural Killer
(NK) cells.  These provide the first line of defense for dealing
with any form of invasion to the body.  Each cell contains several
small granules which act as "ammunition."  When an NK cell recognizes
a cancer cell, for instance, it attaches itself to the cell's outer
membrane and injects these granules directly into the interior of
the cell.

The granules then "explode," destroying the cancer cells within five
minutes.  The killer cell then moves on to other cancer cells and
repeats the process.  As long as NK cells remain active, the body
is able to keep disease under control.

The supplement developed by Dr. Ghoneum, called MGN-3, increases the
efficacy of the NK cells.  Additionally, it has other immune-boosting
effects as well:  it increases levels of interferon, a compound pro-
duced by the body that inhibits the replication of viruses; it
increases the formation of Tumor Necrosis Factors, a group of proteins
that help destroy cancer cells; and it increases the activity of T-
cells and B-cells.  This potent immune system booster is made of the
outer shell of rice bran which has been enzymatically treated with
extracts from the medicinal Shiitake mushroom.  In Japan, mushroom
extracts have become the leading prescription treatments for cancer.

Dr. Ghoneum's findings have been demonstrated in test-tube experiments
as well as seven published studies involving 72 patients.  In a study
presented to the American Association for Cancer Research, he reported
on five patients with breast cancer.  Each patient was treated with
the same dosage of three grams a day of MGN-3 from a Japanese manu-
facturer.  NK cell activity increased within two weeks and continued
to do so as the study progressed.  At the end of the six-to-eight-
month study, two of the patients were in complete remission.  In a
study reported the following year, 27 patients with various types
of cancers including breast, cervical, prostate, leukemia and multiple
myeloma were tested for NK cell activity by 51 Chromium release assay
before and after only two weeks treatment with MGN-3.

NK cell activity increased 154-332% for breast carcinoma, 100-274% in
cervical cancer, 174-385% in prostatic cancer, 100-240% in leukemia
and 100-537% in multiple myeloma.

One multiple myeloma patient was a 58-year-old man diagnosed in 1990.
He underwent several months of chemotherapy following his diagnosis.
Although his condition seemed to stabilize, his blood still showed
markers for multiple myeloma eight months after chemotherapy.

He then began taking MGN-3 and in less than 6 months, follow-up lab
work showed no indication of cancer.  Today, eight years after his
initial diagnosis, he is the first patient known to have survived
multiple myeloma, acccording to Dr. Ghoneum.

Dr. Warren Levin, 66, a holistic physician practicing in New York
City and Ridgefield, Connecticut, had suffered an immune deficiency
with an abnormal ratio of helper cells to suppressor cells since the
early '80s.  "I tried herbs, healers, intravenous treatments--all
sorts of stuff.  Several years ago, I learned about glyconutrients--
carbohydrate molecules that play a critically important role in cell-
to-cell communication.  I began looking for glyconutrient sources.
All over the world, native populations were using substances with
high glyconutrient content including Aloe Vera, astralagus, echinacea
and various mushrooms.  At that point, I read an article about MGN-3.
I was already taking Coats Aloe Vera Concentrate together with Beta
1-3, D-glucan (Macroforce), Ambrotose, and a thymus preparation called
Basic Thymic Protein A as well as the usual vitamins, minerals and
antioxidants.  I also did intensive mercury detoxification with DMPS.
Last fall, I began taking six capsules a day of MGN-3.  At the end of
December, I sent my blood to the laboratory and when I returned from
vacation I found that for the first time in 15 years, every one of
my tests had improved well into the middle range of normalcy.  That
combination of supplements had finally reversed my helper-cell ratio.
And normalized my mitogen/allergen responses and NK cell activity."

Dr. Ghoneum's latest study, reported in the International Journal of
Immunotherapy, involved 24 patients.  Doctors tested NK cell activity
in each patient, administered the recommended cancer dosage of 3 grams
per day, and tested NK cell activity again after 16 hours, one week,
one month and two months.  After 16 hours NK cell activity had increased
1.3 to 1.5 times.  After one week, activity had increased eightfold.  At
the end of two months, NK cells were killing 27 times more cancer cells
than prior to taking MGN-3.

Unlike other forms of cancer treatment, MGN-3 is a totally harmless sub-
stance and has no known side effects.  In the terrorist analogy, it
doesn't kill innocent civilians.  David A. Pitts, 73, a real estate
salesman in Santa Barbara, California, had undergone chemotherapy for
lymphoma with no apparent results.  "I had been getting weaker and
weaker," he said.  After reding a report on MGN-3, he sent for the
supplement and began taking it while he was also placed on a course
of intravenous treatment with trioxine, a relatively new drug.  "In
about three to four weeks on the outside, gosh, I started feeling
better," says Pitts.  "What really intrigued me was the idea that
this supplement could enhance your immune system.  When I began, I
did a crash program of 14 capsules a day.  Now I'm on a preventative
program of four a day."  At his latest CAT-scan, Pitts was in remission.
"The doctor had no explanation of how or why this happened, and there's
nothing I can prove.  But I'm going to continue taking this for the
rest of my life.  What's in it is harmless and doesn't interfere with
anything else."

Dr. Ghoneum has also used MGN-3 to treat hepatitis B and C and has done
in vitro experiments demonstrating its action against HIV.  He believes
that individuals in "high risk" categories for disease can benefit from
using MGN-3 preventatively.  These include: work with paint. End of Alternative Medicine Digest article.

My fingers are getting tired.  I decided to test my high school touch
typing expertise to get this article in a form where you can send it
to others by e-mail, print it out to study it or have your loved ones
read it....or ignore it.  Your choice.  I've always told my kids that
the most useful thing I ever learned in school was touch typing. (;-))

OK, here's the letter I promised you from Dr. Mamdooh Ghoneum, the
discoverer of MGN-3:

"Dear Friends:

As a research scientist studying immune system function, I have spent
my entire career investigating promising therapies for strengthening
immune response, with special attention to the functioning of key white
blood cells (NK cells, T cells and B cells).

Of all the promising approaches I have investigated, MGN-3, with its
extraordinary effect on NK cell activity, is far and away the most
exciting.  So great is its promise, in fact, that I have abandoned
all other research to concentrate all my attention on MGN-3.

You should be aware, however, that this is my opinion, and not all
medical experts agree with me.  Many doctors, having read my research,
are encouraging their patients to supplement with MGN-3.  Many others,
however, view my research with a healthy skepticism.  You should be
aware that there are a significant number of experts that do not
believe that sufficient scientific evidence exists to support the
use of alternative therapies, of which MGN-3 is one.  Others are
concerned that patients using products like MGN-3 may abandon their
traditional medical treatment - something I do not want to encourage.

Certainly your personal physician, who knows your health history, should
be involved in your decision on whether supplementing with MGN-3 is a
good idea for you.  That is why I encourage you to share the enclosed
abstracts from the clinical research with your doctor, or other health
care provider, before you decide to start supplementing with MGN-3.  I
also encourage you to seek out other sources of information on natural
supplements in general, and other specific concerns you might have, from
agencies such as the United States Food and Drug Administration, which
can be easily accessed on the Internet at:  www.fda.gov

As you review the information in this package, please remember that my
colleagues and I have been studying the effects of MGN-3 on immune system
response.  Much more work is needed to better understand where thes findings
will bring us.  And please do not forget that MGN-3 is a dietary supplement,
designed to support optimal immune system function - not a medical treatment,
preventative, or cure for any health condition.

For purposes of full disclosure:  I receive research support from Daiwa
Pharmaceutical Co. in Japan and research/financial support from Lane
Labs-USA, Inc. based on MGN-3 sales.

My best wishes for your continued good health,

[signed]
Mamdooh Ghoneum, Ph.D."

The "abstracts" of the clinical studies which Dr. Ghoneum refers to may be
obtained by calling CompassionNet at the above "800" number.

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/free_video/