Re: [MOL] catching cancer [01363] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] catching cancer

In a message dated 11/29/2000 12:29:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mjt@prodigy.net writes:

> I'm not sure who wrote about how, as they said, all oncology nurses get >
cancer.  But I'd wonder about that.  Being a nurse, is one of the hardest >
jobs in the world, so that leaves open the risk factor of stress.  Also, in >
their care of patients, they are more exposed, I guess, than your average >
person off the street to a lot of radioactive substances used in treatment.
> But that's about it.

>I don't think there has ever even been a case of someone > catching aids
after using the patient's toothbrush.

AIDS is contagious by contact w/ body fluids, cancer is not.
My boss's wife is an oncology nurse and she (and the other nurses) say that
ONCOLOGY nurses DO have a higher a cancer risk than other nurses.      -chris