Re: [MOL] Fw: Erma's Angel /PEGGY [01360] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Fw: Erma's Angel /PEGGY

Lillian,

Just a short note to let you know that life has been pretty bad around here
> lately.  Ken went back into the hospital for two days.  Apparently he was
> overdosing on his meds - not what he did by but what the doctors have
> calculated based on his body weight.  He is down to 125 lbs from 178.
They
> sent him home on oxygen because his body is not getting enough, probably
due
> to the tumors in his lungs and chest.  He has a pleural
> effusion (fluid outside the lung) and it is so painful he's dopey a good
deal
> of the time.  The oncologist told us its time to get him hospice.  I've
agreed to it but they are not to talked to him about hospice and are to
treat it like visiting nurses.  Basically they have been really good with
him and and have worked really hard to control his pain.  I'm having a hard
time with this because I know they do not know his cancer here.  I have been
in touch with New Jersey where he had the clinical
> trial) two times today they've called me already.  But the local
oncologist says
> he has been in the business 16 years, lost his father, brother-in-law and
> grandfather to cancer and is very aware of what he sees.  Our family is
> totally devastated, but not willing to give up hope.  I arranged for a
> physical therapist to come into our home and prepare him to LIVE in this
> world, not get ready to die in it.  He has never fully recovered from his
7
> weeks hospitalization in the spring.  He has bounced from one small
illness
> to another and this is rather the straw!  He has to have around the clock
> attention to be sure that he doesn't  forget meds, or take too many, or
> doesn't have breathing distress.  My kids and some of his brothers and
> sisters are helping and taking turns staying with him.  His meds have been
changed every other day since he came home by the visiting nurse
association.  Finally, yesterday they hit on the combo that has given him
relief.  He has a doctor appt tomorrow so we're doing a test run tonight
going out with the 02 tank, to a safe place (my mothers), so we'll be ready
for tomorrow.  I am so relieved that his pain in finally, maybe only
temporarily under control.  The pain in his eyes was heartbreaking.  I know
I'm rambling, but I'm having a hard time with coherent thoughts right now.

I am so strong when I am with him and such a crybaby when I'm not.  I'm
trying so hard not to feel sorry for myself because it is not about ME
afterall.  God, this is so hard.  How will I ever be ready to let him go.

Love
Peggy