Re: [MOL] Visit to Pain Clinic/Reply [01155] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Visit to Pain Clinic/Reply

Hi Beav.
I know exactly how your husband feels. This group is what I've been hoping
to find ever since I realized that there's probably no physical cure for the
pain and any improvement in my quality of life was esentially going to be up
to me. But I knew I was ill equipped to deal with this without professional
help.
Over the past couple of months I've done quite a bit of research in the area
of chronic pain treatment. One of the places I received info from was the
Mensana Clinic in Stevenson, Maryland. I'd requested some material from them
and was quite impressed by their approach. They offer both an inpatient (for
out-of-state patients) and outpatient program. The initial evaluation takes
1/2 - 3 hrs and determines acceptability, costs, etc. If you're interested
they can be contacted @ 410-653-2403, or fax 410-653-3633, or e-mail @
info@mensanaclinic.com; www.mensanaclinic.com.
They are an accredited pain care facility and there are 191 programs in the
USA with 20 in the seven-state Mid-Atlantic region. You could probably find
the location of these by contacting the group which does the accredidations,
called CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities). I'm
afraid I've no contact point for them.
I hope this info is of some help to you. Let me know how you make out if you
decide to contact them. And I'll keep you posted on my progress. I have an
interview in mid Dec. so I should have more info then.
Please tell your husband he's not alone and if he's the e-mail type, I'd
love to talk to him. I understand how debilitating pain can be and how
difficult it often is for other people to relate. None of us want to be
perceived as a "whiner" so often we tend to undermine the effect our pain
has on us. Anyway, I'm here if he's ever like to talk.
Good luck, dear friend. I look forward to hearing from you again.
Your friend,
Bridget