Re: [MOL] diverticulitus REPLY [00068] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] diverticulitus REPLY

Unfortunately, diverticula, once formed, are permanent. No treatment has been found to prevent complications. Diet high in fibre with adequate fluids increases stool bulk and prevents constipation, and theoretically may help prevent further diverticular formation or worsening of the condition. Bulk additives such as Metamucil are also used. There are some dietary prohibitions, but your mother seems to be very compliant in this.

Most attacks of diverticulitis, usually mild, are treated conservatively with bed rest, antibiotics, tender loving care, etc. Further surgical resection usually follows the presence of perforation, fistula or abscess. Surgery may also be suggested for patients with frequent, recurring attacks of diverticulitis leading to multiple courses of antibiotics, hospitalization , and deterioration in personal wellbeing.

From: LORI KENNEDY
To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 9:19 PM
Subject: [MOL] diverticulitus

a very good friend of mine has this illness and is now in an assisted care living facility. I was wondering just exactly what this illness is and how it effects a person. would you please forward information to me about this illness at your earliest convenience?   i appreciate it.

Lori Kennedy   LLKENNE@AOL.COM