[MOL] CancerHope Foundation information [00030] Medicine On Line

[MOL] CancerHope Foundation information

 <A HREF="http://www.cancerhope.com/">CancerHope Foundation</A>
http://www.cancerhope.com/

Lung Cancer : Early Detection Can Save Lives
By: Eric C. Rost, M.D.

Many people, including some physicians, believe that lung cancer is an
untreatable and incurable disease. This is a major cause of a lung cancer
morbidity that we face today. This nialistic attitude causes complacency in
the medical care delivered to patients at high risk for lung cancer. It also
allows a less than enthusiastic approach approach to treatment.
Lung cancer is treatable.
Lung cancer can be curable if found early enough.

There has been new developments in the screening of lung cancer by spiral CT
scanning. This has demonstrated that lung cancer, of any type, can be
detected at a much earlier stage than with standard radiographic procedures,
i.e. chest X-ray. This procedure which uses commonly found technology in our
new 21st century is not currently covered by most insurances. However the
early detection of lung cancer increases the treatment options. Surgery can
play a more important and more definitive role. Radiation, especially three
dimensional conformal therapy can be much more effective. The complications
of treatment can be reduced many fold by early detection.

Some medical professionals claim that a negative CT scan in a high risk
patient may reduce their personal fear of cancer and thus allow the patient
to continue to smoke, however, I believe this is a patronizing attitude
towards a habit which is often used as an excuse to focus blame. I do not
believe it is in the realm of medical responsibility to assess guilt. We
should maintain our primary goal of treatment with compassion and
understanding.

It is my desire to have everyone realize the technological advances that are
available to them. By insisting on the use of these techniques we can reduce
the morbidity and increase the cure rate of lung cancer. This knowledge will
increase the level of understanding for treatment by all physicians.