[MOL] Edema [01275] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Edema

My mother has lung cancer, diagnosed in 1998.  You've seen my sister, Susan
(Suzecicc), ask questions on this forum before and your advice has always
been helpful to both of us.
Mom went into the hospital this past Thursday and was discharged Friday.
They admitted her because her oxygen level was extremely low although she was
on portable oxygen with a cannula and a concentrator at home.  Her feet were
very swollen.  They placed her on oxygen with a mask and within 12 hours, she
was doing well enough to be switched to a cannula again at a much higher
liter of oxygen than we normally use at home.  Ruled out fluid on the lungs
and blood clots and sent her home with more steroids and antibiotics.

We have noticed a pattern in that every time she has bronchitis or any form
of fluid on the lungs, her feet swell with edema.  This seems to go away once
the virus (or whatever) is treated with antibiotics.  However, this time they
discharged her once the white blood count was lowered and she seemed to be
doing better.  Once home, her feet started to swell and they are now very
"fat" with edema.  We have her at the highest level possible on the
concentrator which is 5-6 liters.  Has anyone else experienced this problem
when there is a low amt of oxygen saturation?  If so, are there masks
available that one can use at home to get a higher level of oxygen both thru
the mouth and the nose? Or does anyone have experience with the edema?  Her
ring fingers are not swollen at all.  It is only the feet, legs and ankles.

Thank you for your help.