[MOL] Ovarian cancer drug approved..... [01239] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Ovarian cancer drug approved.....

Friday, October 27, 2000
Ovarian cancer drug approved in EU

WASHINGTON, Oct 27 (Reuters Health) - Alza Corporation has received approval in the Europe Union (EU) to market its anti-cancer drug Caelyx (pegylated liposomal doxorubicin) for treating advanced ovarian cancer in women who have failed other therapy.

About 20% of patients with the disease do not respond to chemotherapy and approximately 50% who do respond experience relapse within 2 years.

Caelyx, called Doxil in the US, uses a targeted delivery system called Stealth, which helps the drug evade detection by the body's immune system for a longer period, increasing the likelihood that the medication will reach the targeted tumor, according to the company.

Approximately 25,200 new cases of ovarian cancer were diagnosed in the US in 1999 compared with about 35,000 cases in the EU. Ovarian cancer, the second most common gynecological cancer in the US and the deadliest, is often diagnosed in an advanced stage, because it presents few early symptoms, Alza noted.