RE: [MOL] Stanford Diary .... here we went ! [01017] Medicine On Line

RE: [MOL] Stanford Diary .... here we went !

God bless you, Carol.  You're in my prayers.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peggy L. Hall [mailto:peghall@tir.com]
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2000 8:34 AM
To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
Subject: Re: [MOL] Stanford Diary .... here we went !

Carol,

Thanks so much for the narrative.  I love hearing what others are going
thru, it
helps keep me centered with what my husband has been thru.  I sure hope
you're
feeling better soon, but it sounds like you've pretty much got it
together.  Will
pray for your strength and health to return asap.  Love Peggy

Roses1@aol.com wrote:

> OK, I promised news when we returned, but was just too tired yesterday !
So
> here goes ... it's a long one !
>
> Left last Saturday morning & drove down to Sacramento ... got up Sunday &
> headed to San Francisco.  Got to have dinner & play at Fisherman's Wharf
> relax before the first day.
> Monday ... headed for Stanford ... scared to death.  They had decided to
> break the treatments into 3 days.  The first to be the longest doing the 2
> top tumors together that day.  Treatment lasted 2 hours on that luxurious
> cushiony table ... not !  They gave me 2 steroids, made me take an extra
> seizure med & sent me on my way.  It was pretty scarry, but I had lots of
> quality time with God that morning.  The scariest part that day would have
> been when the gammas hit something & numbed my throat & I had no feeling
in
> my neck area & couldn't swallow while that dose was going in.   But it did
go
> away when the gammas changed their next position.  We went back to the
motel,
> slept a couple of hours & went back to the wharf & walked around.  I was
> tired, but functioning.
> Tuesday ... back for day 2.  This was to be a shorter treatment, only
doing
> one of the bottom tumors, with the other one to be the last day.  On the
3rd
> "pass" the computer glitched & they called it a day, advising they could
do
> that last "pass" on the next day.  Treatment only lasted approx 1-1/2
hours
> .. just a quickie.  I knew that day why they called it the cyber knife ...
> hit a couple of spots where it felt like it  burned it's way in.  Ouch.
Same
> meds, same nap time & we went for a drive that evening to Scocilito (sp?)
> Wednesday .. ya hoo, one more shot & we are out of here.  First 2 days
were
> tolerable ...  tiring, but no real side effects .. we can do this !  Well,
2
> hours later & I staggered out.  They must have saved the best for last,
> 'cause I felt awful.  We drove to Fresno .. approx 3 hours ... to the in
laws
> for a couple of days to rest before the long drive home.  My brain felt as
if
> it was swelling beyond capacity, dizzy, sick to my stomach, total
confusion
> ... hey in-laws how do you like me so far ?  LOL  I felt so bad I couldn't
> spend better time with them.
> Friday ... headed for home.  Stopped at Weed, CA for the night feeling
> absolutely sick.  Fell apart on my poor husband, got a really good cry
out.
> But he held me until I felt safe once again (I think the poor man is
getting
> used to "sticking" me back together).
> Saturday ... tired and pressure again.  After sitting in the car for 6
hours
> again for the last leg home ...  I realized on the last "pit stop" the car
> noise was killing me.  When Michael turned off the engine, this huge
relief
> came over me.  Noise of the tiniest little bit, light & activity around me
> are my worst enemies.  It is almost the same as the prior craniotomies ...
> was so looking forward to bypassing that confusion stage.  Had lots of
pain
> that evening.
> Sunday ... determined for normal ?  Got up & washed the dishes ... what
could
> be more normal ?  I did it quite carefully not to clang any dishes !
Visited
> with my mother & tried doing a few chores around the house.  By the
afternoon
> I was seeing pretty colors in my left eye ... even when it was closed.
Oops.