[MOL] adenoid cystic carcinoma [00249] Medicine On Line

[MOL] adenoid cystic carcinoma

Hi, my name is Lisa.  I was diagnosed with adenoid cystic carcinoma of the
sphenoid sinus (primary) a little over a month ago.  Found out this week that
it has metastized (sp?) to my lung.  I am still waiting for radiation
treatment from the inital diagnosis, and will need to travel across the
country for proton beam radiation because the original tumor is located
around my optic nerve.  Does anyone know if radiation is also used for the
lung at the same time, or is it unlikely to have radiation in two places on
my body at once?  From what I understand, there are no clear indications that
chemotherapy will benefit this particular cancer, but radiation has a good
success rate when the cancer has not spread.  Also, I think probably the next
step will be to see if it has also spread to bones.  How is this determined,
and should I request a test to see if there is indication that is is in bones
yet?  Thanks for any information.