[MOL] Myelodysplasia and blood transfusions : info needed [00128] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Myelodysplasia and blood transfusions : info needed

Dear all,
My Dad has Myelodysplasia and has been taking blood transfusions (every
month or so) for some time now.  We have now been informed that a dangerous
level of iron has built up in his system.

The medical people have suggested a treatment whereby my father is hooked up
to some kind of machine for approx 8 hours every day to circumvent this
build up.

Has anyone any information about this treatment?  In particular I would like
to know :
How long it actually takes each day;
Whether it must be done every day;
Are there any (unpleasant) side effects or considerations;
How long can this treatement be used before other complications set in.

Thank you very much in advance for any info which you can contribute.

Steve Quayle.