Re: [MOL] Pauli Reply [00005] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Pauli Reply

Dear Pauli:  Where does one start on a situation such as this?  Know that I
understand what you are going through and even though your father made some
poor decisions that effect everyone, he didn't intentionally do it.  I was
in the same boat as he is five year's ago.We are not in the medical
profession and feel this is an extreme case that needs immediate attention.
I would suggest that you call the National Cancer Society !-800-4-cancer.
They have all the information you will need and are wonderful to work with.
Our prayers for the two of you, your friend, lillian

the did a Bone biopsy
> (which hadn't been done since last Oct.) and it showed that it has now
> turned to leukemic cells.  They hospitalized him and waited for the
further
> results to come in.  They said that at this point that it was time to do
> Chemotherapy, when all the results came in the Dr. said that his marrow
was
> so bad that it was disintegrating on its own.  He said that he could not
do
> the traditional "leukemic" treatment on him, it would be too strong.  That
> he would treat him with a Myelo Dysplasia treatment (which is what he had
> for 2 years..... without any treatment!) and we would hope that it didn't
> kill ALL of his marrow; if it did he would die.   Now I don't understand
why
> they weren't treating him in the beginning for Myelo Dysplasia if there is
> treatment regiment for it.  Is there something that I just don't
understand?
> The Dr. told him he would be in the hospital for 4-6 weeks.  Well he
started
> chemo (it will be 2 weeks ago this monday-tomorrow) they did the treatment
> for 5 days, mon-fri.  On Sat. he started to run fever.   I realize that
> there are many side-effects to chemo, he has had the sores in this mouth
and
> throat, stomache cramps and pain. But he spent 3 days in ICU for
> sub-humaneous bleeding on his knees and feet.  He has had several
> transfusions, many platelets, I just don't have any idea what is "normal".
> They had a reading on his white count on Friday, said it went from .1 to
1.5
> and that his temp. was normal.  Yesterday I felt like the bottom fell out.
> His white count was .5 and he is running a fever again.  He has the
hiccups
> and the Dr. seemed to think that it might be a virus, they cultured his
> throat and said it would take 3 days for those results.  When we go to
> visit, we scrub and wear masks.  Not because we are required, but because
we
> don't want to take chances.  Yet the nurses never mask up.  Is this not
> compromising his situation?  There is just so much I have questions on and
> so many things that I wish had been done differently....  Is there any
> advise or information any one can give me, to help us make the right
> decisions and deal with this correctly?
>
> Thank you, Pauli Franklin

Love,
> > > Joicy