[MOL] [Fwd: Lessons] [01754] Medicine On Line

[MOL] [Fwd: Lessons]

---- Begin included message ----

---------------------- Forwarded by Ken Smith/OrbAZ on 09/28/2000 08:43 AM
---------------------------

Ken Smith
09/28/2000 08:29 AM

To:   <lweiss_2000@yahoo.com>
cc:    (bcc: Ken Smith/OrbAZ)

Subject:  Lessons

This is a good story, please read it all the way through. (After
the story there are some very interesting facts!): I am a mother of
three (ages 14, 12, 3) and have recently completed my college degree.

The last class I  had to take was Sociology. The teacher was absolutely
inspiring with the qualities that I wish every human being had been graced with.

Her last project of the term was called "Smile." The class was asked to go
out and smile at three people and document their reactions. I am a very
friendly person and always smile at  everyone and say hello anyway, so,
I  thought this would be a piece of cake, literally.

Soon after we were assigned the project, my husband,   youngest son, and I
went out to McDonald's one crisp March morning. It was just our way of sharing
special play time with our son. We were standing in line, waiting to be
served,when
all of  a sudden everyone around us began to back away, and then even my husband
did. I did not move an inch...an overwhelming feeling of panic welled up
inside of me as I turned to see why they had moved.

As I turned around I smelled a horrible "dirty body" smell, and there standing
behind
me were two poor homeless men.  As I looked down at the short gentleman, close
me, he was "smiling". His beautiful sky blue eyes were   full of God's
Light as he searched for acceptance. He   said, "Good day" as he counted
the few coins he had  been clutching. The second man fumbled with his hands
as he stood behind his friend. I realized the second man was mentally
deficient and the blue eyed gentleman was his salvation. I held my tears
as I stood there with them. The young lady at the counter asked him what
they wanted.

He said, "Coffee is all Miss" because that was all they could afford.If
they wanted to sit in the restaurant and warm up, they had to buy
something. (He just wanted to be warm). Then I really felt it -the compulsion
was so
great I almost reached out and embraced the little man with the blue eyes.

That is when I noticed all eyes in the restaurant were set on me, judging
my every action. I smiled and asked the young lady behind the counter to
give me two more breakfast meals on a separate tray.I then walked around
the corner to the table that the men had chosen as a resting spot. I put
the tray on the table and laid my hand on the blue eyed gentleman's cold
hand. He looked up at me, with tears in his eyes, and said, "Thank you." I
leaned
over, began to pat his hand and said, "I did not do this for you. God is
here working through me to give you hope." I started to cry as I walked
away to join my husband and son.

When I sat down my husband smiled at me and said, "That is why God gave
you to me, Honey. To give me hope."  We held hands for a moment and at
that time we knew that only because of the Grace that we had been given
were we able to give. We are not church goers, but we are believers.

That day showed me the pure Light of God's sweet love.
I returned to college, on the last evening of class, with this story in
hand.  I turned in "my project" and the instructor read it. Then she looked
up at me and said, "Can I share this?" I slowly nodded as she got the
attention of the class.

She began to read and that is when I knew that we as human
beings and being part of God, share this need to heal people and be healed.
In my own way I had touched the people at McDonald's, my husband, son,
instructor, and every soul that shared the classroom on the last night I spent
as a
college student. I graduated with one of the biggest lessons I would ever
learn:

UNCONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE. Much love and compassion is sent to
each and every erson who may read this and learn how to LOVE PEOPLE AND USE
THINGS -  NOT LOVE THINGS AND USE PEOPLE. If you think this story has
touched you in any way, please send this to everyone you know.

---- End included message ----