Re: [MOL] chemo for lung cancer [01712] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] chemo for lung cancer

Dear Enver:  I experienced a burning sensation -- very uncomfortable.  It
frightened me until my oncologist explained it was the tumor shrinking.  She
said it was all "pissed off."  She's a funny lady!  I did go through
radiation -- 35 hits to the chest area.  It caused severe burns to my
esophagus.  I had to be hospitalized and put on a feeding tube for a couple
of weeks because I couldn't eat.  It was very painful, but it healed.  In
June of 1998, I had a heart attack and required double bypass surgery because
of radiation burns.  Believe it or not, it wasn't too bad.  The cancer
treatment was worse!  This doesn't happen to everyone, though.  I wasn't
crazy about the radiation therapist, and my oncologist wasn't too pleased
with him, either.

So far, the cancer hasn't spread, and I've been cancer free for well over two
years.  The doctor told me if I could make it for two years without a
recurrence, she'd consider me cured.  Obviously, I have.

I required a mastectomy in May of this year, but this was an entirely
different situation-- a precancerous condition.  No chemo or radiation was
necessary.  So far, so good.

I hope this has helped.  Tell your father to keep the faith.  This can be
beat!

Kathy in Idaho