Re: [MOL] Hey there, I need help. [01600] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Hey there, I need help.

Hi Andrea.
This is Bridget here and I live in Halifax, N.S. but was living in N.B. when
I was dx and rec'd my txs.
Americans. Specifically, for patients who live outside a major centre, there
is often considerable travel involved to receive treatment, especially
surgery or radiation and/or long delays between diagnosis and treatment. In
some cases, at least in N.B., I've recently been told that patients must
travel to the U.S.A. (Maine) to receive txs because the waiting list is so
long at home. In my own case, I had to travel to another province (N.S.) for
my surgeries and another city (Saint John) for my radiation txs as it's not
available in Fredericton where I lived.
Also, it is much more difficult to get in on any clinical trials in Canada
than it is in the U.S. In some cases, this can make the difference between
life and death.
Lastly, (and this may just be a matter of perception) the American Cancer
Society seems to be much more involved and aggresive politically than here
in Canada. In some places there aren't even any support groups for patients
to attend and the Cancer Society doesn't seemed to be concerned by this.
They should be.
As to what could be done the bottom line in most cases comes down to dollars
and cents. There needs to be more funding for additional treatment centres,
clinical trials and public awareness of what is available and being done.
While I believe we are doing a pretty good job so far as research goes, this
does little to help those of us who already suffer from the disease. Also,
there appears to be an improportianate amount of funds being devoted to a
few types of cancer and little available for other types. I believe there
should be a better balance especially as it concerns more aggressive cancers
that are often terminal if not treated quickly. Both the Canadian Cancer
Society and the Gov't need to be more in tune to the needs of Canadians as I
do not believe they are currently as conscientious as they should be.
Hope this is what you were looking for.
Bridget