Re: [MOL] Tomoxifin..../REPLY ! [01366] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Tomoxifin..../REPLY !

Welcome to our wonderful forum and always know we are here for you.  I am including some information for you regarding Tamoxifen and the possibility of your using one of the two of the other drugs that work the same way.  Warmly, your friend, lillian

THE HEALTH EFFECTS OF TAMOXIFEN
(Excerpt >From Cancer & Hormone Paper)

Tamoxifen has been formally declared by the World Health Organization as a carcinogen.  Under State Proposition 65, California must publish and maintain a list of all known carcinogens.  In 1995, the state's Carcinogen Identification Committee voted unanimously to list tamoxifen.  Tamoxifen's known side effects include:

  • Liver Damage :    Britain withdrew from studies on the use of tamoxifen when it was discovered that tamoxifen's manufacturer withheld unpublished data indicating that the drug may induce liver tumors. Liver damage has occurred in every animal study using tamoxifen.  Animal studies show tamoxifen produces potentially carcinogenic DNA and alterations in the liver, as well as eye damage.
  • Uterine Cancer :    Although the drug has had some success in preventing recurrences in women who have been successfully treated for breast cancer, it does promote particularly aggressive uterine cancer. A large Swedish study, and another in the Netherlands, found a 6-fold increase in uterine cancer among those patients who took tamoxifen.  In a University of Pittsburgh study, 23 out of 1,000 given the drug, contracted uterine cancer.
  • Endometrial Effects :   A Danish/British study detected endometrial abnormalities.  Uterine tumors, endometrial thickenings, and cancers occurred in a significant number of women taking tamoxifen.
  • Blood Clots :   It is also known to cause fatal blood clots in the lungs, irritating the walls of the veins, and leading to inflammation.
  • Osteoporosis :   Taxmoxifen users are at risk of developing early symptoms of menopause, including accelerated bone mineral loss and osteoporosis.

Other adverse reactions which are seen infrequently are hypercalcemia, peripheral edema, distaste for food, pruritus vulvae (vaginal itching), depression, dizziness, light-headedness, headache, hair thinning and/or partial hair loss, and vaginal dryness.

NOLVADEX has been associated with changes in liver enzyme levels, and on rare occasions, a spectrum of more severe liver abnormalities including fatty liver, cholestasis, hepatitis and hepatic necrosis.

http://www.worstpills.org/tamoxifen.htm

http://www.selene.com/healthlink/tamoxifen.html

http://www.all-natural.com/tamox.html

http://www.stopbreastcancer.org/press/tamox.asp