[MOL] Fwd: First to Know Bulletin [01152] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Fwd: First to Know Bulletin

---- Begin included message ----
Title: Medical Breakthroughs
Medical Breakthroughs: First to Know
Reported by Ivanhoe Broadcast News
Letter from
the President
September 18, 2000
Lighting the Way

The News Directors of America report that Ivanhoe's Medical Breakthroughs continues to be the most sought after medical information for television stations and their viewers. While in Minneapolis, I also participated in a panel discussion of how television stations can make better use of the Internet, viewing it as their partner, not their competitor.

Which brings us to our site and this week's variety of stimulating stories, from a new fatigue-fighting drug for MS patients to news about a sealant called "FocalSeal" out of Johns Hopkins that helps prevent air leaks in lung cancer patients. In our report, "Osteoporosis Combo," researchers are looking for more than 200 women with osteoporosis in Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, New York City and Bangor, Maine, for a study about whether a combination therapy is the most effective treatment for the 10 million American women who have this condition. In my efforts to maintain strong bones, l'll just keep taking my Tums twice a day!

We've also got a controversial report for you on an alternative cancer treatment that, though developed in the 1930s, may now be providing relief to some cancer patients. The FDA has allowed this light and sound device for pain management, and is currently investigating its use in treating cancer. Light is also discussed in this week's Dr.'s Q&A, as Dr. Norman Radke talks about his hopes that retinal transplants on retinitis pigmentosa and macular degeneration patients will help them to distinguish between light and dark as a first step towards restoring their sight. And we have an interesting article on resistance training by people who believe that we should all train the way we live ... makes sense to me!

And there's more where that came from...

Reply to: Marjorie Bekaert Thomas
President, Ivanhoe Broadcast News
In This Issue...

MS Energy Builder

Osteoporosis Combo

Sealing Lung Leaks

Daily News Flash

Smoking and Your Child

Alternative Cancer Treatment

Working Against Blindness

Train the Way You Live

Be sure
to check out:

Sex Therapy Webcast

After the Webcast, join our discussion with Sex Therapist Domeena Renshaw, M.D.

Visit our new advice channel!

Daily News Flashes

Do you want to be a part of the Ivanhoe news network?

In honor of breast cancer awareness month, we are planning a breast cancer channel at www.ivanhoe.com. For one week we will focus on new research to treat breast cancer. Please send us any information you have on this topic. Forward all suggestions to:

Executive Producer Elizabeth Buchanan at ebuchanan@ivanhoe.com

Submit Story Ideas
E-mail us at newsalert@ivanhoe.com

Has this site saved your life or the life of someone close to you?
E-mail us at ebuchanan@ivanhoe.com

What do you think about Ivanhoe.com?
E-mail us at webdoctor@ivanhoe.com

Research at Ivanhoe.com

This Week's Topic: Ulcers

September is Ulcer Awareness Month. Do you have new research on ulcers that you'd like to contribute? E-mail newsalert@ivanhoe.com

Our research archive contains hundreds of medical news reports on a wide range of medical topics covered by Ivanhoe Broadcast News over the last four years. There is a charge of $2.50 to view each report with a minimum purchase of $10. You can purchase yearly, unlimited archive viewing for $50. Click here to subscribe to our archives.

Click HERE to Search Archive.

To stop receiving the First to Know Bulletin, go to http://www.ivanhoe.com/firsttoknow
and unsubscribe your email address.

What's New | News Flash | Discussion | Search | Ivanhoe FAQ | Subscribe
Our TV Partners | Awards | Useful Links | Free Special Reports | Play It Again, Please

---- End included message ----