Re: [MOL] New to list. [00889] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] New to list.

In a message dated 09/14/2000 9:52:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Sal92273@aol.com writes:

> From what I understand, the reason he opted against radiation for now is
that

>  there are four tumors located in the central cavity of the chest.  At this
>  time, a broad radiation there may do more harm than good because the heart
>  and so many major blood vessels are located there.
>  >  I asked about radiosurgery (laser located radiation), but for now, he
said,
>  the tumors are too large for it to be effective.  He's hoping the chemo
will
> >  shrink the tumors so that radiosurgery will be a more effective
treatment.
>  >  Sal.

Sal, that is *exactly* what they did for my Dad (besides some surgery to
remove smaller growths in one lung).  They said once cancer has spread they
need to use chemo first to shrink it and prevent it from further spread. The
surgeon also insisted that chemo primes the pump, so to speak, and makes the
later radiation more effective.  It worked for my father -- along with
millions of prayers.  -chris