[MOL] Bridget [00840] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Bridget

Lillian has trained you well Bridget.  Almost as fast as she is there!

-----Original Message-----
From: Bridget Rambeau [mailto:bsbridget@hotmail.com]
Sent: 14 September 2000 13:38
To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
Subject: Re: [MOL] Hello, Bridget (and Everyone Else)

Hi guys. Here's some info on Snake River. Is that fast enough?
Your friend,
Bridget
PS: I thought others might be interested as well. It's actually quite
fascinating.

Snake River
The Snake River, designated in 1975 as a National Wild and Scenic River,
provides an unforgettable outdoor experience. It is managed to preserve its
freeflowing character and unique environment while providing for continued
public use. Hells Canyon is the deepest gorge in North America. The canyon
is bordered on the east by the rugged Seven Devils range, capped by
9,393-foot He Devil Mountain in Idaho. At the mouth of Granite Creek,
approximately 7 miles below Hells Canyon Dam, the river elevation is 1,480
feet and the canyon depth is 7,913 feet. On the west, the gorge is edged by
Oregon's rim country, which rises to an elevation of 6,982 feet at Hat Point

Lookout.

The river flows through the Hells Canyon National Recreation Area (NRA), and

forms the boundary between Idaho and Oregon. Although the NRA includes
portions of the Nez Perce, Payette and Wallowa-Whitman National Forests, it
is managed by the Wallowa-Whitman. It includes the Hells Canyon Wilderness
and the Snake River segment of the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System.

The 31.5-mile section of river between Hells Canyon Dam and Pittsburg
Landing is designated "Wild" under the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act.

The 36-mile section of river downstream from Pittsburg Landing to mile 180.2

is designated "Scenic." An additional 4.2 miles of the river from mile 180.2

north to the NRA boundary at the Oregon-Washington line is recommended for
"Scenic" designation.

The Wild and Scenic Snake River Corridor extends approximately one-quarter
mile back from the high water mark on each shore. The river corridor itself
is not wilderness, and wilderness regulations do not apply; developed
campsites and manmade structures exist, and some motorized equipment is
allowed. Some areas on either side of the corridor, however, are designated
wilderness and closed to mechanized travel. If you want to visit the
wilderness, it must be by foot or horseback. Uncommon on most Wild and
Scenic Rivers, powerboats have been used on the river for many years and
their continued use is still allowed.