RE: [MOL] non small cell lung cancer stage 4/REPLY [00502] Medicine On Line

RE: [MOL] non small cell lung cancer stage 4/REPLY

First let me say this, I came up from Florida to be with my friend Tom, his
wife and their three young children.  Tom is the one with cancer.  They live
in New York.  I been extensively involved with every aspect of his
treatment, their anguish, their suffering, and their frustrations.  I have
committed to be with them throughout the duration and do what I can.
Tom has a 6 week reprieve on starting chemo since he had a periodontal
window performed.  This was to relieve the water pressure from the sac
around the heart.  The six week delay is to ensure that the wound will heal
before chemo  is used.  Otherwise the wound will never heal once chemo is
started, i.e. chemo destroys the immune system along with the cancer cells.
During these six weeks, he has been building up the immune system with every
antioxidant possible. Our theory is that if we had destroyed the immune
system over the years with pollutants, we might build it up again with
antioxidants.
A few questions Lillian...
1. Tom has been given ten "shots" of radiation for the brain, hence as we
understand it, nothing more can be done?  Why do you talk about a brain
treatment, i.e. see below?.  Why did you bring up the brain, since he
already was radiated?  In the normal course of effects, does the cancer
re-metastasize?
2. Tom is scheduled to go on a combo, three times a week for fifty two
weeks.  What I hear you say is that low dosage will have little side
effects.  What is the point of the treatment, symptom relief?  (the
oncologist wants to combine, paxtal, something plantin and gemzar, three
times a week for 52 weeks)
3. Tom feels a lot better, is that possible because the cancer is not
progressing?  Tom is his old self again, wheezing went down, hernia
disappear, sneezing more, walks better, the wound is healing faster than the
doctors expected.
4. Tom and Bunny are terrified going for more testing on cancer since they
have no interest in discovering if the cancer is progressing.  Is there a
need to know that the cancer it is spreading?
5. Is this form of lung cancer, a painful process?  If he is doomed to die,
and chooses no chemo, what is the side effects?  And do we compare those
side effects against the chemo side effects?  Which is worse?
6. We are aware of the oncologists advice of suspending antioxidants during
chemo. However, they are not specific as to what antioxidants and what
chemicals.  I know of studies where certain antioxidants, might affect
certain chemicals based on the notion that antioxidants attack free radicals
and that certain chemicals generate free radicals to attack the cancer
cells.  Hence, these particular antioxidants shouldn't be used with these
particular chemicals.  Furthermore, we are aware that Sloan Kettering
published a recent study where vitamin c collected around the chemo
chemicals and have advise against antioxidants during chemo.  What is
frustration to us is the lack of specificity in the medical profession's
pronouncement about antioxidants.  We have tons of studies on the value of
antioxidants during chemo, i.e. reduced side effects, longer life span, etc.
Can you help us in forwarding the knowledge of providing specific
information or studies that talks about antioxidants impeding the
effectiveness of chemo?
Listen, there is two adages we are living by during this process.  One is,
"it isn't cancer that kills you, its ignorance."  The other is, "if it
doesn't kill you, take it."  The three of us are coming from the view that
there is always a possibility of remission, one never knows.  So with god's
help, pray, reki therapy, antioxidants, visualization processes, meditation,
cats claw, shark cartilage, chemo if it works, radiation if it works, and
anything else that has a remote chance of working.  Whatever it takes to get
the immune system up and running again, Tom and Bunny have made the
commitment.
Linda, you are a caring and compassion for responding to our needs.  We are
fortunate to find this forum, to air our concerns and get questions
answered.  All we can say is thanks.