Re: [MOL] side effects - can you help? [00486] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] side effects - can you help?

Hi Will (is it?)  --- my father had every symptom you mention below.  The
doctor gave him a series of medications pre- and post- each chemo application
to ease the effects.  He used some of his own too:

 Everything he puts in his mouth (water, food, protein drinks, etc) has a
very strong salt taste, even if he licks his lips - salt.  Anything available
to help with this? Anyone know why this happens?  Anyone experienced this and
knows how to make it more tolerable?
    My father complained of metal or flat tastes, not so much salt (he LIKES
salt).  But I think he just forced himself through this one - no quick fix
that I know of. Someone did say once to eat and drink cold foods warm & warm
foods cold - I passed that advice on to my Dad.

 Extreme nausea - vomiting.  Medications not helping.  He's losing weight
fast.
    My father discovered that a pony bottle of WARM beer helped before or
after a meal (HE ASKED HIS DR FIRST!!!!).  I'm sure he also had meds for
nausea.  It was the very worst in the beginning cycle of chemo and subsided
later on.  He did find that the nausea was worse the day or several days
after a chemo than on the same day.  HE AVOIDED milk products - they DID make
him sick.

 Chills - can't get warm.  We are in Colorado and winter is on our heels.
My father too.  He would shake under piles of blankets. One time that DID
turn out to be an infection that put him in the hospital.

 No energy, tired, exhausted.  Can't get the exercise the docs recommend.
 OH YEAH!  He's is still quite fatigued and finished chemo long ago.

 He is only a few weeks into this and has months to go.  If you can help, I'm
waiting for your reply!  Thank you.
    IT WILL GET BETTER !!!!!  There is a light at the end of the tunnel,
Will.  AND it will get darker before it dawns (too old cliches that are soooo
very true).  My father is cancer-free today - at 77 years old!   -chris