Re: [MOL] tomaxafinREPLY TO BETTY & WELCOME [00349] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] tomaxafinREPLY TO BETTY & WELCOME

Hi Betty!  I am a breast cancer survivor, welcome to our forum.  The URL
just below will give you information about tamoxifen, dosage; etc.
http://promini.medscape.com/drugdb/drug_uses_dosage.asp?DrugCode=1%2D3926&Dr
ugName=TAMOXIFEN+CITRATE+ORAL&DrugType=1

There are two other drugs that do the same as tamoxifen, with a few of the
same serious side effects; but not as many serious side effects of
tamoxifen.  They are Megrace and arimidex.  All three of the drugs only work
for a certain period of time and this will be up to each individuals
system.The avg. is from two years to two and one half years.  Wishing you
the very best, warmly lillian

THE HEALTH EFFECTS OF TAMOXIFEN
(Excerpt From Cancer & Hormone Paper)

Tamoxifen has been formally declared by the World Health Organization as a
carcinogen.  Under State Proposition 65, California must publish and
maintain a list of all known carcinogens.  In 1995, the state's Carcinogen
Identification Committee voted unanimously to list tamoxifen.  Tamoxifen's
known side effects include:

Liver Damage :    Britain withdrew from studies on the use of tamoxifen when
it was discovered that tamoxifen's manufacturer withheld unpublished data
indicating that the drug may induce liver tumors. Liver damage has occurred
in every animal study using tamoxifen.  Animal studies show tamoxifen
produces potentially carcinogenic DNA and alterations in the liver, as well
as eye damage.
Uterine Cancer :    Although the drug has had some success in preventing
recurrences in women who have been successfully treated for breast cancer,
it does promote particularly aggressive uterine cancer. A large Swedish
study, and another in the Netherlands, found a 6-fold increase in uterine
cancer among those patients who took tamoxifen.  In a University of
Pittsburgh study, 23 out of 1,000 given the drug, contracted uterine cancer.
Endometrial Effects :   A Danish/British study detected endometrial
abnormalities.  Uterine tumors, endometrial thickenings, and cancers
occurred in a significant number of women taking tamoxifen.
Blood Clots :   It is also known to cause fatal blood clots in the lungs,
irritating the walls of the veins, and leading to inflammation.
Osteoporosis :   Taxmoxifen users are at risk of developing early symptoms
of menopause, including accelerated bone mineral loss and osteoporosis.

Other adverse reactions which are seen infrequently are hypercalcemia,
peripheral edema, distaste for food, pruritus vulvae (vaginal itching),
depression, dizziness, light-headedness, headache, hair thinning and/or
partial hair loss, and vaginal dryness.

NOLVADEX has been associated with changes in liver enzyme levels, and on
rare occasions, a spectrum of more severe liver abnormalities including
fatty liver, cholestasis, hepatitis and hepatic necrosis.

http://www.worstpills.org/tamoxifen.htm

http://www.selene.com/healthlink/tamoxifen.html

http://www.all-natural.com/tamox.html

http://www.stopbreastcancer.org/press/tamox.asp