[MOL] Working together - MUST READ THIS ONE [00176] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Working together - MUST READ THIS ONE

               GEESE

   Next fall, when you see geese heading south for the winter, flying along
in 'V' formation, you might con- sider what science has discovered as to why
they fly that way. As each bird flaps its wings, it creates an uplift for the
bird immediately following. By flying in 'V' formation, the whole flock adds
at least 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.
   People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where
they are going more quickly and easily, because they are traveling on the
thrust of one another.
   When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and
resistance of trying to go it alone - and quickly gets back into formation to
take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front.
   If we have as much sense as a goose, we will stay in formation with those
people who are headed the same way we are.
  When the head goose gets tired, it rotates back in the wing and another
goose flies point.
  It is sensible to take turns doing demanding jobs, whether with people or
with geese flying south.
  Geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.
  What messages do we give when we honk from behind?
  Finally - and this is important - when a goose gets sick or is wounded by
gunshot, and falls out of formation, two other geese fall out with that goose
and follow it down to lend help and protection. They stay with the fallen
goose until it is able to fly or until it dies; and only then do they launch
out on their own, or with another formation to catch up with their group.
  If we have the sense of a goose, we will stand by each other like that.
--Author Unknown--