From: Lillian [mailto:firefly@islc.net]
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 11:43 AM
To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
Subject: Re: [MOL] Anybody believe this?

From: Claire Lee
To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 5:33 AM
Subject: [MOL] Anybody believe this?

I received the following from a friend who has sent me misinformation in the past.  Maybe she's
a bit gullible!  Have any of you MOLers heard about such a bill?
Subject: Fw: VOTE NO ON BILL 602P
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:12:09 -0700 (PDT)
VOTE NO ON BILL 602P
I guess the warnings were true.  Federal Bill 602P 5-cents per email sent.
It figures! No more free e-mail!  We knew this was coming.  Bill 602P
will permit the Federal Government to charge 5-cent charge on every
delivered e-mail.  Please read the following carefully if you intend to stay
online, and continue using email.  The last few monthshave revealed an
alarming trend in the government of the United States attempting to
quietly push through legislation that will affect our use
of the Internet.  Under proposed legislation, the US Postal Service
will be attempting to bill e-mail users out of "alternative postage
fees."  Bill 602P will permit the Federal Government to charge a 5-cent
surcharge on every email delivered, by billing Internet Service Providers
at source.  The consumer would then be billed in turn by the ISP.
Washington DC lawyer Richard Stepp is workingwithout pay to
prevent this legislation from becoming law.  The US Postal Service is
claiming lost revenue, due to the proliferation of e-mail, is costing nearly $230,000,000 in revenue per year.  You may have noticedtheir recent ad campaign.  " There is nothing likea letter."
Since the average person received about 10 pieces
of e-mail per day in1998m the cost of the typical individual would be
an additional 50 cents per day - or over $180.00 a year - above and
beyond their regular Internet cost.  Note that this would be money paid directly to
the US Postal Service for a service they do not even provide.  The whole
point of the Internet is democracy and non-interference.  You are already
paying an exorbitant price for snail mail because of
bureaucratic inefficiency.  It currently takes up to 6 days for a letter to be
delivered from coast to coast.  If the US Postal Service is
allowed to tinker with e-mail, it will mark the end of the "free" Internet in the
United States.  Our congressional representative, Tony Shcnekll (R)
has even suggested a $20.00 - $40.00 per month surcharge on all
Internet service above and beyond the governments proposed e-mail charges.
Note that most of the major newspapers have ignored the story - the
only exception being the Washingtonian - which called the idea of
e-mail surcharge "a useful concept who's time has come" (March 6th, 1999
editorial).  Do not sit by and watch your freedom erode away!
Send this email to EVERYONE on you list, and tell all your friends
and relatives to write their congressional representative and say "NO"
to bill 602P.  It will only take a few moments of your time and
could very well be instrumental in killing a bill we do not want.

PLEASE HELP!  PLEASE FORWARD!