From: "Whipps, David" <David.Whipps@equitas.co.uk>
To: 'angel' <mol-cancer@meds.com>
Sent: August 25, 2000 12:09:01 PM GMT
Subject: RE: FW: [MOL] Mr. Whipps

Charlotte
I'm not offended Charlotte, sometimes I ask the same question myself!!

I think it must be a history thing.  The UK (but mostly England) likes to
think of its self as a very historical place, and a very traditional place.
As far back as I can remember in my history lessons, in ye oldie worldie
days, the king/Queen used to rule the land, and most of the world if you
think about it.  I'm not too sure why a government and prime minister were
formed, (I fell asleep during most of my history classes) but when they
were, the rules and regulations were made by and upheld by them.

The queen (or King when we get one) is sort of the head of the parliament,
and army/police etc.  Although most rules are made in the house of commons,
and agreed by the house of lords, she has to agree to them as well.  If she
disagrees, they can be stopped, but most of the time it is just a formality.

In my opinion, the queen doesn't really have that much use, apart from
generating a lot of cash from tourists just by being here, and opening up
Buckingham Palace and Windsor castle.  Same really goes for the Prince
Philip.  However, if they buy stuff from shops on a regular basis, the shop
can be granted a royal seal of approval.  This means that they can display a
coat of arms on their stationary, and also display it outside the shop.
This does tend to generate more business.  A famous thing was Harrods, which
has always had the royal seal of approval, even before Mohammed Al fayed
owned it.  After the Diana/Dodi conspiracy sorties he spread throughout the
media, the Windsor's all decided to withdraw their "support" form the shop,
and he had to take down all the royal coat of arms that were displayed
outside, and also amend his stationary.  i.e. no longer saying suppliers to
HRH Duchess of York.

The other royal (the Queens children, cousins nieces nephews etc) all have
involvement's with charities.  This is a very lucrative deal for the
charity.  I don't know if you remember, but when Charles and Diana were
going through the divorce, Diana decided she wanted to try and get out of
media attention, and resigned as the head of about 50 charities.
Unfortunately, the ones she chose lost lots of money just because people
stopped donating as Diana wasn't endorsing it.  Very sad, when you think
that the charity still carried out the same work, just not with a royal
involvement.

In short, they generate lots of money just by being there.  It would be a
shame to see them all go, but they do need to cut down on the public
spending they do.

David