Re: [MOL] No Subject [02086] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] No Subject

Hi Marcus. Sorry to take so long getting back to you but I didn't sign on
yesterday, which is highly unusual.
There's not a lot of info around on bile duct cancer as it is so rare and
often you will find it listed under "rare forms of cancer" in most books.
However, as with most cancers the treatment depends on the "staging" of the
cancer.
The preferred treatment, if possible, is surgery. I had what's called a
Whipple's Procedure, which is basically a resection or redirecting of the
bile duct and other organs. This or some lesser form of the surgery would
normally be done if the cancer is contained and surgery will either remove
it totally or reduce/eliminate symptoms. Other factors include the patient's
age, overall health, etc. as the surgery itself poses some serious risks.
This is normally followed with adjuvent treatments, primarily radiation to
the abdomen. This procedure is painless and primary side effects are nausea
and diarria. In my case, my onc. also opted for some chemo treatments. This
was more of a precaution as there's no real evidence to support it's
effectiveness with this particular cancer. However, my attitude was to give
it everything they got!
If surgery is not possible or if the cancer has spread to far to be totally
removed by the surgery, then radiation is normally used as a palliative care
measure.
I am included some sites which may answer more of your questions.
It is very difficult to find people with this form of cancer so please feel
free to ask me anything you like.
To contact us just respond to this message or Lillian can tell you how to
sign up, can't you, Lillian?
My prayers are with you and your mother. I will be glad to help in any way I
can.
Your friend,
Bridget
http://cancernet.nci.nih.gov/clinpdq/pif/Extrahepatic_bile_duct_cancer_Patient.html