Re: [MOL] Re: Update [01768] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Re: Update

Hi Carol. You aren't alone with the family thing; mine is exactly the same
way! And I doubt you will get many responses telling you that your family is
right. Remember, what they're doing (and this is only MY opinion remember
and not meant to be insulting to anybody) isn't really about you at all.
They are having difficuly dealing with your illness themselves and, when
you're upset, they are being forced to face up to it. I'm sure there are
lots of other reasons also but I think that's basically the bottom line. At
first this really disturbed me and even more so when I got similar responses
from close friends. I decided to discuss my need openly with my older sister
and the close friend I was sharing a house with at that time. They really
tried hard but invariably I'd end up consoling them. Ever notice how
frequently that happens?
Ironically, right around the time all this was going on, my present
roommate, who's been one of my best friends for almost 20 yrs, was dx with a
tumor on her pituitary gland. It was benign but still requiired surgery
(which will have to be repeated probably every 3-5 yrs) and radiation.
Benign or not, she still faces a ton of medication, regular testing, endless
doctors appts. and new doubts to replace the old confidence (that we'd be
here forever).  The good thing was that this enabled her to relate to all
the emotions I was going through and we were suddenly able to talk openly to
one another about our pain, fear, curiosity, etc. I was lucky to find
somebody I was so close to. You may have to accept that your family may or
may not be able to be there for you in this regard, no matter how much they
may want to!
In that turns out to be the case, I do have a suggestion. Aside from all the
wonderful angels who make up this forum and who are here for you 24 hrs/day,
have you thought about getting in touch with your local branch of the Cancer
Society? They can often pair you up with someone in your area, often someone
who suffers from the same type of cancer. This group is evidence of how
quickly people can bond under these circumstances so it might be worth a
try. There are times when a cyberhug just ain't enough...we need the real
thing. I'm sorry for rambling on so long. I wasn't on-line all day yesterday
so I have to make up for it.
Please try not to feel so betrayed or deserted because matters don't seem to
be improving. How can we possibly judge when things are getting worse, or
even better for that matter, when we have no idea where it is that we're
supposed to be going? I found, for me, that I had to work on accepting
whatever happened, no matter what that was, if I was going to find some
peace during this journey that leads to only God (in all his many faces)
knows where. So don't worry if your faith gets shaken every once in awhile.
And I will pray, as you face all of those challenges awaiting you, that you
will find some of those many treasures that lay buried amongst the rubble,
such as this forum and the friendships that are being formed around you.
So, dear Carol O, if you need to cry or scream or whatever, feel free to
burst a few speakers. I, for one, shall turn mine off for a little while,
just to be safe. LOL
I can't seem to say anything that doesn't require dividing into chapters so
I think I'll be quiet for a while. Maybe my parents told me too often as a
kid that I was to be seen and not heard. Am I rebelling  do you think?
Your (gabby) friend,
Bridget