Re: [MOL] Insurance [01429] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Insurance

Miss Karen,

	There's no doubt that television has hyped the role of HMOs being the
"bad guy".  While this is true, perhaps in some cases, of the HMOs, I
feel that your relationship with your doctor is what counts.  Do you
trust him?  Do you trust him to make the "right" decision for your
mother?  If so, then he will fight for the proper treatment for your
mother, regardless of cost.

	Also, if you have these worries, then you need to "get informed" on
every aspect of your mother's treatment.  Find out what the various
options are.  Research them as respects your mother.  Bring them up to
your doctor.  And, if you aren't happy with his response, get a second
opinion. Take the "control" and put it in YOUR hands, not just the
doctors.  Keep on top of it.  And yes, you may have to research more than
one treatment, or test, but you (or whomever is designated) should do
that anyway.  Do not be a "sheep" simply following along.  Get involved.
You won't have to "worry" about future tests if you remain on top of it
and in control.

	I know that there are other members of the forum who have been in a
situation similar to the one you're considering (your young daughter
seeing G'ma sick and bringing your mother into your home).  There are
more factors to consider than just your daughter.  How will this affect
your family life?  How does your husband feel about it?  (He may say
okay, but does he mean it?)  How do YOU really feel about it?  Is it a
burden?  Are you doing this because it's an obligation?  Are you prepared
for taking care of someone who is sick on an ongoing basis?

	4 year olds are amazingly resilient.  They are curious.  Interested.
And accept what you tell them as God's truth.  They have not been
conditioned in the adult world, yet.  I think you need to ask other
questions first.  Your 4 year old will deal with it.

	Just my opinion for what it's worth.  Others on the forum, I'm sure, can
give you first-hand information.  We're a good group with so many
different stories that can help you through this.  Hang in there.

Many hugs,
Carol in Memphis