From: Janis F Hutchinson <jhutchinson@juno.com>
To: butler@magiclink.com
Cc: PWCarden@aol.com, WritersInfoNetwork@juno.com, pcondra@umi.org,
	 edecker@nwlink.com, neelie9@juno.com, BKay@cyber-west.com,
	 bcmmin@frontiernet.net, crfoulkes@juno.com, impg@juno.com,
	 HardeepP@aol.com, hassan@freedomofmind.com, ahein@xs4all.nl,
	 ariele@att.net, blake_hutchinson@Knpb.pbs.org,
	 Bernie-J@juno.com, janja@atdial.net, mcmu@jps.net,
	 agneslaw@aol.com, jwfacts@macgregorministries.org,
	 maggieibc@juno.com, jmarrs@ctc.edu, daveginim@aol.com,
	 utahna@sginet.com, jcmaynes@bigplanet.com, wjm@mrm.org,
	 semikel@juno.com, Alny18@aol.com, galewoneil@aol.com,
	 gmapete1@juno.com, ncvc@nauvoo.net, f19u47r@aol.com,
	 rev.pooh@juno.com, jshafar@hotmail.com,
	 cultwatch@starcomm.net, jlsmith@starcomm.net, carolms@msn.com,
	 stuartcwmg@aol.com, info@midwestoutreach.org, jkwwfi@aol.com,
	 NancyPGAW@aol.com, moncoluta@aol.com, tjanderson@dalycity.org
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 19:34:50 -0700
Subject: E-MAIL - 5 CENT CHARGE

In a message dated 08/09/2000 11:08:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
CraigR@Pet-Tech.Com writes:

         VOTE NO ON Bill 602P!!!!

I guess the warnings were true. Federal Bill 602P 5-cents per E-mail
Sent. It figures! No more free
E-mail! We knew this was coming! Bill 602P will
          permit the Federal Government to charge a 5-cent
          charge on every delivered E-mail.

          Please read the following carefully if you
          intend to stay online, and continue using E-mail. The
          last few months have revealed an alarming trend in the
          Government of the United States attempting to quietly
          push through legislation that will affect our use of
          the Internet.

          Under proposed legislation, the US Postal
          Service will be attempting to bill E-mail users out of
          "alternative postage fees." Bill 602P will permit the
          Federal Government to charge a 5-cent surcharge on
          every E-mail delivered, by billing Internet Service
          Providers at source. The consumer would then be billed
          in turn by the ISP.

          Washington, DC lawyer Richard Stepp is
          working without pay to prevent this legislation from
          becoming law. The US Postal Service is claiming lost
          revenue, due to the proliferation of E-mail, is
          costing nearly $230,000,000 in revenue per year. You
          may have noticed their recent ad campaign: "There is
          nothing like a letter."

          Since the average person received about 10
          pieces of E-mail per day in 1998, the cost of the
          typical individual would be an additional 50 cents a
          day-or over $180 per year-above and beyond their
          regular Internet costs. Note that this would be money
          paid directly to the US Postal Service for a service
          they do not even provide. The whole point of the
          Internet is democracy and noninterference. You are
          already paying an exorbitant price for snail mail
          because of bureaucratic efficiency. It currently takes
          up to 6 days for a letter to be delivered from coast
          to coast. If the US Postal Service is allowed to
          tinker with E-mail, it will mark the end of the "free"
          Internet in the United States. Our congressional
          representative, Tony Schnell (r) has even suggested a
          "$20-$40 per month surcharge on all Internet service"
          above and beyond the governments proposed E-mail
          charges

          Note that most of the major newspapers have
          ignored the story-the only exception being the
          Washingtonian - which called the idea of E-mail
          surcharge "a useful concept who's time has come"
          (March 6th, 1999 Editorial).

          Do not sit by and watch your freedom erode
          away! Send this to E-mail to EVERYONE on your list,
          and tell all your friends and relatives write their
          congressional representative and say "NO" to Bill
          602P. It will only take a few moments of your time and
          could very well be instrumental in killing a bill we
          do not want.

          Please forward