Re: [MOL] Info Please [00966] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Info Please

Tom,
   My Dad,81, was dx with broncholoalveolar (a "subdivision" of NSCLC ) in
Sept 99. After consults with surgeon, pulmonologist and oncologist surgery
was ruled out-I'm still not sure why. Started Daddy on weekly tx of
Taxol-90mg and then carbo-?mg was given once a month; usually  with second
tx of Taxol; in Feb 2000.  It was explained to us that weekly tx rather than
monthly tend  to be easier to tolerate and possibly more effective. He never
lost his hair or appetite. I think the only side effect he may have had was
being somewhat tired. At one point he tried Taxotere which in his case
almost did him in. By 3rd tx he was put on O2 full time and could no longer
drive himself to tx. Switching back to Taxol, by 2nd one he was pretty much
back to normal (he also has asthma and emphysema so that's very good to go
back to not needing O2. His right lung is partially collapsed but still
functional. The left lung with metastasized spots are what they are judging
success of  chemo on. The 1st CT Scan in May showed decrease of spots  and
CT Scan  in July showed further decrease in spots and no spread!!!  Now they
are trying him on monthly tx purely for his convenience (40 miles round trip
for tx) and I don't think he likes it. He's had 1 tx; within 2 days became
very nervous(for 3 days) Also had leg and joint pain which he said he could
handle that with Tylenol. His dosage for monthly is now 330 mg so quite an
increase at one time. I think he's going to try one more tx and ask for
medication, if it doesn't help will go back to once a week which they said
he could. Sorry this is so long; hope it helps. Daddy also took MGN3 for a
while; not sure how long, then quit. I think the  chemo is the main cause of
cancer shrinking but also wonder aboout MGN3. He drinks green tea and takes
some natural stuff; not sure what. Sending prayers to your brother that he
fares as well with chemo. Pat Kimmi- Kansas