FW: [MOL] Dog Ob./ David/Lillian [00564] Medicine On Line

FW: [MOL] Dog Ob./ David/Lillian

Hi Lillian

Great Danes are lovely, when I eventually get my working from home position,
I want to get a Dane and possibly an Irish Wolf Hound.  Anyway, back to
business.  There are two schools of thought on this one, the first, I don't
advocate, but will tell you anyway.  Like pepper sprays you can use to get
cats out of your garden, there is a product that is available (made by
Petzyme so I think it is available in US) that you smear on areas that the
dog is interested in, (Its supposedly non-staining) that tastes Bitter. In
theory the dog tries to chew on the areas, gets a nasty taste, and learns
not to do so.  Personally I don't like this method, but have heard that its
effective.

Now, if you remember, in my last 100 page mail about training, I said that
toys should be yours and you allow the dog to play, and remove them when you
want the game to stop, in the case of chewers, its slightly amended.  Have
you heard of a Kong?  its like a cone shape toy made out of rubber.  They
are very strong, I demonstrate this by sticking my fingers in one, and
allowing my friends German Shepherd to bite down on the toy and chew it!!
If you get one of these, you can fill it with soft food, and stick it in the
freezer so the food gradually melts and keeps the dogs attention.  this can
get a bit messy, so put in dried food, that needs to be forced in so its
hard for the dog to remove.

Another way, and this is only if you have the time, is distraction training.
If your there with the dog and can spot it starting to chew, try and be just
out side dogs line of vision, and call him/her.  Offer a treat or reward
when he comes to you, and then walk away.  This takes some time, and alot of
spying on the dog.  Try not to scold the dog if you spot him in the act of
chewing as this sometimes works the same way as with kids and provides a
negative feedback loop.

Let me know if you have tried any of these already and if so, I will check
with my class and see what other offers I can get.

David