[MOL] http://www.oncology.com/news/1,1009,,00.html/Todays briefs.... [00551] Medicine On Line

[MOL] http://www.oncology.com/news/1,1009,,00.html/Todays briefs....

HOME > NEWS
Welcome to the Oncology.com News Room!
On this page, you will find the latest cancer-related headline news, conference coverage and weekly columns on topical issues.
Journal Summary
Serum Marker Predicts Clinical Symptoms, Overall Survival in Aggressive NHL
Levels of the serum marker called soluble Fas (sFas) correlate with clinical symptoms and overall survival in aggressive non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL), say Japanese researchers. More...
Expert Looks Into the Future of Cancer Prevention
BETHESDA, Md. – New technologies and an evolving understanding of the processes behind cancer development are narrowing the gap between prevention and treatment, said Bernard Levin, M.D., vice president for the division of cancer prevention at The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. More...
Brief Report
Some Common Drugs May Increase Esophageal Cancer Risk
A number of commonly used medications, including those for angina and asthma, permit stomach acid to back up into the esophagus, causing chronic heartburn and slightly raising the risk of cancer, according to a new study. More...
Cancer During Pregnancy—One Woman’s Story
Second of a Two-Part Series
“I had three days of blissful motherhood before I had to undergo my first real cancer diagnostic.” Sager was injected with gallium and told to come back several days later to be scanned. “What I didn’t realize about gallium was that it is a radioactive material and I was told I could not hold my baby for the weekend.” More...
Oncology Weekly Review
This week’s cancer news ranges from an easier method for ovarian cancer screening to a discussion about the mineral selenium’s potential anti-cancer properties. More...
Journal Summary
Gene Chips Yield Genetic Profile of Metastatic Melanoma
Two new studies in the August 3 issue of Nature applied data from the recently completed Human Genome Project to gain insight into the genetic mechanisms involved in the metastasis of melanoma. More...
Cancer During Pregnancy—One Woman’s Story
First of a Two-Part Series
There are few things that can dampen the joys of impending motherhood, but a diagnosis of cancer is one. The necessities of controlling cancer during pregnancy present many unique emotional and medical problems, as one woman discovered. More...
A Woman Copes With Terminal Cancer
First, Deborah Brabant’s gynecologist told her the cramps were all in her head, even though the pain was so strong it felt like a stab in her side. More...
The Components of Effective Oncology Disease-Management Programs
The U.S. health care system has undergone dramatic changes that have affected consumers and providers. The changes we have witnessed and been a part of have occurred largely due to legislative influences. However, scientific and technological advances, as well as increased competition in the free market for the health care dollar, are also key factors. More...
Many Elderly Women With Breast Cancer Are Not Getting Standard Treatment
Elderly women with breast cancer may be getting treatment that is not the standard of care, according to a new study. More...

clear.gif