Re: [MOL] Will Work For Food....PS [01882] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Will Work For Food....PS

Kathy, I realize that some people can't help it - particularly those that are
mentally ill and tossed out of hospitals into the streets.  But again, I
believe those are the minority of the homeless.  We have lots of homeless by
our office (we are located downtown).  A few solicit funds, but most collect
cans and find other means of survival, they still do have pride.

Believe me, I am heartless where the homeless are concerned; my favorite
charities are targeted to them and politically, I vote for candidates who
promise to help the homeless and the aged.  But there is a difference in
those who try to help themselves even in small ways, and those who abuse the
passers-by and the entire system (I see it every day) in search of a "free
lunch".

I once met a disabled woman while waiting for a friend who needed some
medical assistance at the welfare office.  The woman was upper middle-aged
and obviously not many options for much in the way of employment.  She came
in for interim help since her food stamps were late.  They would not give her
a dime "...until your food stamps will come on Tuesday."  She shouted,
"Tuesday, it's Thursday now - how will I eat till Tuesday?"  They responded,
"You'll have to figure that out."  She left crying.  I caught up with her and
gave her cash and she was still crying.  Big difference from a young, healthy
man carrying a sign "Will work for food."  Esp. after he has just refused an
offer for work!  -chris