Re: [MOL] Reply to Maryanne [01866] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Reply to Maryanne

Maryanne, here are some very good sites that can tell you much about the
various alternative therapies.  You are the only one who is able to make the
best decision for your body.  My mother used to tell me "if in doubt, don't"
and everytime I fail to heed her words, it ends up all wrong.  Oh!  Now
she's up there laughing at me, I can hear her!
She was always right and we had many good laughs over it.  I had a wonderful
mother.  Good luck in your decision process.  Warmly your friend, lillian

           NIH National Center for Complementary and Alternative
          Medicine (NCCAM)
               Conducts and supports research and training; disseminates
               information on complementary and alternative medicine to
               practitioners and the public.   NCCAM resources include the
               CAM Citation Index (searchable & browsable database of more
               than 180,000 citations from 1996-1998 extracted from
MEDLINE);
               and the NCAAM Clearinghouse (contains information on NCCAM
               programs, conferences, and research activities).

           Quackwatch
           Stephen Barrett, MD
               Guide to health fraud and "quackery."  Of particular note is
the
               section entitled, "Special Message for Cancer Patients
Seeking
               'Alternative' Treatments.

           University of Texas Center for Alternative Medicine Research
           in Cancer (UT-CAM)
               Investigates the effectiveness of alternative and
complementary
               therapies used for cancer prevention and control.  Website
               contains evaluative information on various therapies,
including
               herbal & plant therapies (e.g., essiac), biologic & organic
               therapies (e.g., cartilage), chemical & pharmacologic
therapies
               (e.g, antineoplastons, hydrazine sulfate) as well as special
               regimes & integrated systems (e.g., Gerson, macrobiotics).
               One of eleven centers established by the National Center for
               Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) at the
               National Institutes of Health (NIH).

more....