[MOL] Hep. C- caution because our immune sys. is low..... [01308] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Hep. C- caution because our immune sys. is low.....

Hepatitis C Emerges As A Top Health Concern
by Eric Rosenberg, New York Times Syndicate

WASHINGTON - Hepatitis C, an infectious disease that can go undetected in a person for decades while slowly destroying the liver, is emerging as one of the country's top health care concerns, both in terms in loss of life and stress on the economy.

Like the AIDS virus, hepatitis C often is transmitted through sexual contact, bodily fluids and sharing of intravenous drug needles. People who had blood transfusions before 1992 also are at risk.

Although the disease can be detected with a simple blood test, physicians, insurers and national health officials all express concern about its growing prevalence and that few victims know they are infected:

(Read full article)

Vanilla Diet?
from Deutsche Press-Agentur (dpa)

The smell of vanilla appears to help people lose weight by causing them to desire sweets less, a study carried out in London and published on Sunday has found.

(Read full article)

Popular Energy Bars Can be Dangerous
from NewsRx.com

Energy bars may be popular for athletes, but they don’t always provide essential nutrients, and their ingredients aren’t always regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, says Cynthia Sass, a dietitian at the University of South Florida in Tampa.

(Read full article)