Re: [MOL] My mom's pain [00096] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] My mom's pain

I agree, Beav!  When my mom can scurry (the only word I can think of to
describe her) around the house and do this and that, she feels better.  Her
week seems to be complete if she can go garage saleing on Sat - for shorter
periods of time it seems, and then spend the week rearranging her knick
knacks to accommodate the new stuff.  Her house is now comfortable and
interesting to be in and we praise her and it to no end.  When the pneumonia
hit, we thought it was just pain getting her down and we were leaving frantic
messages with her doctors asking about pain relief.   Same as Rohit
experienced, they were OK with helping, but don't really grasp the situation
and how even one more minute of pain to my mom was utter agony.  We live in a
smalll rural town so any new meds require an hour drive to get relief for
her.  Add to the fact that she's on Medicare and Medicaid and there's always
a snafu at the pharmacy.  I was in tears one day when I was trying to get a
medication filled and whoever enters the information into the computers at
wherever to authorize her pain meds put in that she was only authorized to
get family planning meds.  I got very red in the face when told that
(according to my son), burst into tears (it was late at night) and told the
pharmacist that my 65 year old mother wasn't planning on getting pregnant any
time soon.  Thanks to that same caring pharmacist who got on the phone and
called every number she could find until someone helped her override the
codes, Mom got the meds she needed and I flew home with them.  Unless you
live the role of caregiver, I don't think you fully understand the urgency in
every groan or mention of pain.

I"m happy to say that Mom is feeling better.  She still needs to get
antibiotics for the pneumonia to hopefully kick it.  She's on her way to a
nearby town to watch fireworks with my sister.  She's never cared to go
before but life is different now.

Talk to you all later.

Susan C.