Re: [MOL] Tommy's donor backed out/Pat/update [03112] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Tommy's donor backed out/Pat/update

Hi Chris,

I think when they're on a fast track like this they escalate it to calling
the donor.  I'm not sure why they don't take and freeze the marrow from the
donor.  They have to freeze it if they take if from the person who has
cancer.  But I think if you donate to yourself they irradiate it to clean it
up.  I'm not sure if all marrow goes through that process, but I don't think
so.   There are a couple of folks in the forum who have had BMTs and know
much more than I do about it.  I hadn't really done a lot of research on the
transplant process, but will be doing more this weekend when I have a little
time.

Your friend,  Kathy Q