[MOL] Melanoma Breakthroughs..... [03080] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Melanoma Breakthroughs.....

Melanoma Breakthroughs

There may be a promising new treatment for people who have had melanoma surgically removed but who are at high risk for the cancer's return. The treatment, Interferon alfa-2b (Intron A), is the first therapy that significantly increases survival for these people at high risk. Interferons are proteins naturally produced in small amounts by cells to fight foreign substances in the body. Patients who received the interferon treatment were 24% more likely to survive longer than patients who did not receive the drug. Overall median survival increased by more than 1 year for those patients receiving the interferon. The the survival time without disease relapse also increased by an average of about 9 months for the patients in the interleukin group. The study followed patients over a 10-year period.