Re: [MOL] Adryiamycin use/Reply [02996] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Adryiamycin use/Reply

Welcome to our forum.  Here is the information you requested.  Is this for
yourself?  If so what type of cancer do you have?  If we may help you
further we are right here for you.  This is a wonderful forum. stay around
and meet our members.  Your friend, lillian

Adriamycin, also called doxorubicin, sometimes causes heart damage. A
variety of antioxidants appears to reduce this toxicity. For example,
coenzyme Q10 has been used successfully for this purpose.9 Nutritionally
oriented doctors sometimes recommend 90-120 mg of coenzyme Q10
Just be sure that you tell your doctor any thing you are taking while doing
chemo therapy....

Adriamycin (Doxorubicin)

Adriamycin, an active medicine against many cancers, is one of the older
chemotherapy drugs, having been in use for decades. Adriamycin is a clear,
orange-red colored powder or liquid, which is administered intravenously
only. It is most commonly used in treatment of the following cancers:

Breast
Stomach
Lymphomas
Multiple myeloma
Sarcomas
Bone tumors
The type and extent of a cancer will determine the method and schedule of
administration of this drug. This decision is made by the medical
oncologist. Adriamycin may be administered as a continuous intravenous
infusion over a span of four to five days,, or given on a scheduled basis,
i.e., once a week or once every three to four weeks, etc.)

----

Side effects:

The degree and severity of the side effects depend on the amount and
schedule of the administration of Adriamycin. Some of the significant side
effects are:

Soreness of the mouth, difficulty swallowing
Diarrhea
Low white blood counts
Low platelet count
Anemia
Heart problems
Damage to the veins (It can cause redness and irritation at the site of
injection, despite proper injection.)
Severe damage to the tissues if it leaks from the injection site
(Extravasation)
Red urine, which is due to excretion of the medicine by the kidneys
It is imperative that a patient communicate any side effects or problems to
his/her medical oncologist.

----

more....