[MOL] Just joined....Hi there Pat!! [00457] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Just joined....Hi there Pat!!

Hi Pat:
I am so sorry to hear the news of your father--I don't know much about
Mesothelioma (but I am learning much as a member of this forum). I do know
about losing a parent (father) to cancer and having the other parent (Mom)
diagnosed with cancer as well. I lost my father in 1990 to sarcoma which
originated in the stomach and metastisized to the liver and pancreas. He
hung on for 10 months...much longer than the doctors projected after
diagnosis. Six weeks ago, my mother was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma with
unknown primary. It has metastisized to the brain, spleen, and esophogus.
Being an only child, my husband and I have decided to move from the Ogden,
Utah, area to Huntsville, Alabama, to care for her--as we want her to have
the support of her neighbors and friends. We are hopeful that my company
will transfer me, as we have an office in Huntsville--but we haven't heard
anything definitive yet.
My mom has had 12 treatments of radiation to the brain, and last Monday
began chemo. She is also taking taxol and carbo once every three weeks, and
is also taking VP-16 (Vepesid) orally every day. Her first week has not been
nearly as bad as we anticipated (Dad really struggled through his
treatments, and that experience made Mom think twice about this chemo
route). She has been moderately nauseated, and has little energy, but her
appetite has been better than expected. How is your Dad tolerating his
treatments?
Pat, you and your family will be in my thoughts. Life is difficult enough
without having to face this battle twice in three years--my heart goes out
to you. I have been in this forum only a short time, but you will discover
that there is great comfort found in spending time sharing with the members
of this forum.
Take care of yourself and your family.
Always,

Jeanie