Re: [MOL] Jeanie [00203] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Jeanie

I went to our archives and found something that our Marty had written on
A-Cup.  I know he would be pleased that I passed it on to you. I have also
included quite a few sites for you.  You will be a busy person!  Good luck,
and should you need further reserching, just ask.  We are here for
you....Warmly, your friend, lillian

three years ago, my wife Barb was diagnosed as adeno carcinoma of an
> unknown primary as your Mother has been.  YOu haven't clarified though
> whether there is a metastasis and where to? But, in Barbs, my wifes
> case, hers was stage IV as the metastasis was lymph node involvement
> from pelvis to neck and numerous.  I took her to 9 different opinions
> trying to get at least two doctors that would concur on the diagnosis
> and try to tell me where the unknown primary tumor was.  I finally
> realized that the primary tumor was not the concern, but the metastasis
> had to be placed under control which was the concern and if that
> happens  then the primary tumor may become under control as well.
>
> Now the frustrating situation is when there is an unknown primary, what
> type of treatment do you give the patient?  I would suggest you seek
> three different opionions as well as check with the NCI for protocal and
> then let your Mother make the decision as to type of treatment. As we
> did.  Barbara went through 41 treatments of various types of
> chemotherapies and the end result it worked.  She is in clinical
> remission, altho I would like to believe she is cancer free.
>
> During these past three years, and by the way, the docs at the time told
> us the prognosis was short term. Dont believe that or any doctor who
> tells you about life and time. Its not based on facts and they are not
> God, believe me. I was going to say these past three years we have tried
> numerous alternative therapies, some works very well and others do not.
> Everyone is different, so pls keep an open mind.  I am a firm believer
> that the combination of conventional therapy and alternative therapy
> gives the patient a better and longer quality life.
>
> My understanding is that MD Anderson in Texas has a clinic for unknown
> primaries.  WE saw them as well three years ago.  YOu may want to seek
> them out for 2nd opinion.
>
> My understanding as well is there are about 2-3% of all cancer patients
> who are diagnosed with unknown primary, so it is rare, but the concern
> will be to treat the metastasis.  >
> Marty Auslander

In researching these are the sites I found for you.

http://intouch.cancernetwork.com/CanMed/Ch156/156-3.htm

http://cancernet.nci.nih.gov/clinpdq/site/Cancer_of_Unknown_Primary_Origin.h
tml

http://cancer.upenn.edu/pdq_html/1/engl/103331.html