Re: [MOL] updates on aml/Tommy [01336] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] updates on aml/Tommy

Hi Donna,

It's probably about time for an update on Tommy!  He was released from the
hospital a week ago.  They don't have the results back yet as to whether or
not he's in remission, but they should know in the next few days.  Although
his blood counts were up when he left the hospital, he was still in need of
platelet transfusions and has had several this past week.

His wife Wendy has become such a good caregiver, the docs were willing to let
him go home, even though it meant she was going to have to administer meds by
IV for the first week he was home.  He still had about a weeks worth of 7 or
so drugs that they wanted to get into him.  It has been tough for her because
the meds needed to be very precise and administered between 6 a.m. to 1 a.m.
every day.  She's about ready for a real night's sleep again!  But having him
home is much better than having him in the hospital.  He always gets sicker
there.  Catches infections and such.

I'm sure you already know that he has relapsed once now (primarily because
they had to delay the consolidation chemo due to treating a fungus
infection).  They waited to long and the leukemia came back.

The plan now is to get him healthy enough for at least one more round of
consolidation chemo, then do the BMT.  He still has a 100% matched donor
waiting.  I'm on a business trip right now in southern CA and when I get home
on Saturday am going over to his house for a mid afternoon bbq.  I was gone
over the Memorial Day weekend so it's been over a week since I've seen him
and I really miss him...

Wendy is starting a home based career in graphic design and is very artistic
and talented!  So she's trying to create a way to make money that allows her
the flexibility to help care for Tommy.  We've still got a ways to go.  Their
twin boys are doing great!  Man oh man are they ever full of energy!!!

It's always ok to ask about Tommy.  I love talking about him.  He is so
incredible and still has that sparkle that keeps reassuring me he's in it for
the long haul.  In any case, he is at peace with whatever happens and is
still doing everything he can to help fight while enduring the roller coaster
ride we're all on.

Thanks again for your concern.

Warmly,  Kathy Q