Re: [MOL] HI!/Reply [01304] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] HI!/Reply

Bill, please know that we are not in the medical profession, just those who
walk the journey in one form or another.

I was sorry to hear that your wife's cancer has returned.  Tamoxifen, (it is
supposed to work for approximately 4 to 4 and 1/half year's.)  After this
time the drug turns around creating more cancer cells.  Understand that
everyone's body reacts differently to various treatments.  For some
Tamoxifen does not work, for other's it does and yet for other's there are
life threatening side effects, many of which a patient is not told about.
Now there are two other drugs that work the same as Tamoxifen, one is
Megestrik acetate; which also has a few serious side effects; but not near
as many as Tamoxifen.  Then there is Arimidex that has the least side
effects and is the most potent.  I have heard on line success stories
regarding all three; but more on the Megestrick and Arimidex.   Any of these
drugs will only work a certain amount of time varying with each individual.
I am going to include some sites to help you.  I would also suggest that you
possible look into trials, their is a vaccine trial that I am reading good
things about; but still too soon to form an opinion.  I hope that I have
been of help to you and your loving wife.  Warmly, lillian

This is the Breast Cancer Trial sites, there are some 192 trials going on
with many still recruiting.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/c/w1b/action/SearchAction/screen/SimpleTSCS
creen?JServSessionIdcs_current=atjk0rtpoj&Term=Breast%2Ccancer&submit=Search
&Synonym=true&metastasized.ID=TERM&metastasized.badWord=Metasisized

THE HEALTH EFFECTS OF TAMOXIFEN
(Excerpt From Cancer & Hormone Paper)

Tamoxifen has been formally declared by the World Health Organization as a
carcinogen.  Under State Proposition 65, California must publish and
maintain a list of all known carcinogens.  In 1995, the state's Carcinogen
Identification Committee voted unanimously to list tamoxifen.  Tamoxifen's
known side effects include:

Liver Damage :    Britain withdrew from studies on the use of tamoxifen when
it was discovered that tamoxifen's manufacturer withheld unpublished data
indicating that the drug may induce liver tumors. Liver damage has occurred
in every animal study using tamoxifen.  Animal studies show tamoxifen
produces potentially carcinogenic DNA and alterations in the liver, as well
as eye damage.
Uterine Cancer :    Although the drug has had some success in preventing
recurrences in women who have been successfully treated for breast cancer,
it does promote particularly aggressive uterine cancer. A large Swedish
study, and another in the Netherlands, found a 6-fold increase in uterine
cancer among those patients who took tamoxifen.  In a University of
Pittsburgh study, 23 out of 1,000 given the drug, contracted uterine cancer.
Endometrial Effects :   A Danish/British study detected endometrial
abnormalities.  Uterine tumors, endometrial thickenings, and cancers
occurred in a significant number of women taking tamoxifen.
Blood Clots :   It is also known to cause fatal blood clots in the lungs,
irritating the walls of the veins, and leading to inflammation.
Osteoporosis :   Taxmoxifen users are at risk of developing early symptoms
of menopause, including accelerated bone mineral loss and osteoporosis.

Other adverse reactions which are seen infrequently are hypercalcemia,
peripheral edema, distaste for food, pruritus vulvae (vaginal itching),
depression, dizziness, light-headedness, headache, hair thinning and/or
partial hair loss, and vaginal dryness.

NOLVADEX has been associated with changes in liver enzyme levels, and on
rare occasions, a spectrum of more severe liver abnormalities including
fatty liver, cholestasis, hepatitis and hepatic necrosis.

http://www.worstpills.org/tamoxifen.htm

http://www.selene.com/healthlink/tamoxifen.html

http://www.all-natural.com/tamox.html

http://www.stopbreastcancer.org/press/tamox.asp