Re: [MOL] Bess and Dusti [01247] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] Bess and Dusti

Title: Bess
Gosh, these Hospice programs must each be different.  I know when we used them, we had an RN who came in every day and took vitals.  She would show us what she was doing, explain why she was doing it, what stage the patient was at, and just walked us right through it all.  Both ended up going into a coma and just going to sleep pernmently.  It was so peaceful and I knew after the tear's I had did the right thing.  It was what they wanted and I was able to give them their last gift in life, sending them off to their maker.  It is what sustained me through the grieving process.I had a aide who did the baths, got them up into a wheel chair and took them out for walks, plus fed them two meals.  I was the next one on duty and fed the dinners.  The aide would have helped with the housework; but I said I preferred that she give all her attention to the patients, to talk with them.  She had my aunt singing her head off.  She had my mother doing wheel chair exercise. At no time were additional meds called for.  It takes the body a week or two to shut down; but the patient is not in pain, (just we are!).  I hope this is of some help to you both.  lovingly, lillian

From: Barham, Dusti # IHTUL
To: 'mol-cancer@lists.meds.com'
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 7:34 AM
Subject: [MOL] Bess

Bess,

Hello there.  I wanted to write and tell you that I think the Oncologist really has a big part in this stuff.  At first hospice told me that they had never administered aredia at home but after speaking w/ Aetna and the Oncologist, he made it directly clear to both Mom & I that they would administer at home so she didn't have to go to the hospital if she needed to be hydrated.  Also, the day before she went in last time, my sister had called hospice and told them how worried she was about Mom's calcium and to please come and test her blood for it and they did!  Not her normal nurse lady but a different came and took blood and we had the results within 2 hours.  I think the squeaky wheel gets the oil, you know?  I'm sure they don't normally do this but they are able to make exceptions.  As far as tremors go, do you mean body tremors?  I know Mom's hands shake but I know that is just because she is weak.  I'm not sure about about body tremors.  Is Tom still eating anything?  I remember hearing that if your bowels are not working, then some toxicity can build up in the brain causing a little confusion.  Bess, I'll close for now.  I hope you are doing ok, I know this is a real tough time.  Try and indulge yourself in some way, that always makes me feel better.  Like a big fat cheesecake or paint your toenails red.  Painted toenails always make me feel better.

Take care Bess,
Dusti