[MOL] Caregivers Series-Stages of Caregiving..... [01223] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Caregivers Series-Stages of Caregiving.....

Stages of Caregiving

Caregivers experience four clearly defined stages as they travel the caregiving path. These stages can be understood as "developmental tasks" in adapting to the role of caregiver. These stages may occur at the same time, or in any order, and may "recycle" themselves during the course of a caregiving relationship.

The four stages are part of a normal process of adaptation. By understanding how they work, caregivers can better predict their emotions and reactions, and not think they are somehow "failing" when they feel a sudden rush of uncomfortable feelings. The stages help us see how we grow through the crises and hard times of our lives. The struggles and challenges of caregiving present great sorrows at times, but also opportunities for personal growth and competence.