[MOL] Camptosar set for FDA approval for metastatic colorectal cancer... [01162] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Camptosar set for FDA approval for metastatic colorectal cancer.....

Basic Information

..
Camptosar® Click on the generic name to access more information.
Brand Name: Camptosar®
Active Ingredient:   irinotecan
Indication:   For second-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer and as first-line treatment when administered with 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin
Company Name:    Pharmacia & Upjohn
Dosage Form(s):   Intravenous injection
Strength(s): 20 mg/ml
Availability:         Prescription only
*Date Approved by the FDA: April 20, 2000
*Approval by FDA does not mean that a new drug will be immediately marketed and available to consumers.

What is Camptosar used for?

Camptosar is used for the second-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer and as first-line treatment when administered with 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin.

Special Warnings with Camptosar:

General Precautions with Camptosar:

Camptosar may induce nausea and vomiting. It is recommended that patients receive an antiemetic agent prior to Camptosar infusion.

How should I take Camptosar?

Camptosar injection should be administered only under the supervision of a physician who is experienced in the use of cancer chemotherapeutic agents. Appropriate management of complications is possible only when adequate diagnostic and treatment facilities are readily available.

What should I avoid while taking Camptosar?

What are some possible side effects of Camptosar? (This is NOT a complete list of side effects reported with Camptosar. Your health care provider can discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)

Nausea, vomiting, and severe diarrhea are the side effects most commonly associated with Camptosar. For more information, see Warnings and Precautions above.

For more detailed information about Camptosar, ask your health care provider.