From: Peggy Hall <peghall@tir.com>
To: mol-cancer@lists.meds.com
Subject: Re: [MOL] Vicci!  RE    RICH
Date: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 6:47 AM

Vicci

So sorry your Rich is have these problems right now.  I will keep you in my
prayers.  Keep looking for trials, they seem to be what is best when things
have
gone too far.  I know how hard this is but try to keep your chin up and
stay
alert for news that will help him.  God be with you.

Peggy Hall

Vicci Ewen wrote:

> Dear Lil,
> Just getting up the nerve to let you all know what's been going on.  It's
> not good news and I just hate it.
> Rich had the video assisted thorocoscopy and they did a lung biopsy.  The
> colon cancer has spread to his right bottom lung and chest wall.  He was
in
> the hospital for 13 days after this procedure.  They had to scrape along
> his rib cage to reach the bottom of the lung and the doctor is pretty
sure
> that most of his pain is from that.  Altho he has been in progressively
> worse pain for the last couple of months.  All his CEA's were normal so
> dr's. didn't do any more checking until he couldn't take the pain
anymore.
> Then they did a CT of his upper chest.  They had just been doing the gut
> area.  Everything down there has been checking out ok on the CT scan.
But
> I'm not so sure anymore.  I think that CT scans don't pick up everything.
> We can second guess all their methods but it won't change what's
happening
> now.  He is on Oxycontin (400 mgs) every 8 hours right now.  Was every 12
> hours but he can't seem to make it thru to 12 hours.  He's on dialadid
for
> breakthru pain and ativan to calm him when that doesn't work, a sleeping
> pill to help him try to sleep thru the night.
> I want to scream and shout and beat something.  He's not even 30 yet.  He
> knows the probable outcome and he said he's not afraid to die.  BUT he's
> fighting with all his might.  He's been out of the hospital for 11 days
and
> Erica, his significant other, and I have been run ragged trying to keep
him
> as comfortable as possible.  He's not down and out tho.  He's showing
> everyone that he's in TOTAL control.  The first few days we were blown
away
> as to his behavior.  Never sitting, always on the move.  The drugs, I
would
> have thought, would knock him out.  No way.  Not this guy.  He's moving
> furniture, cleaning closets, waking the baby at 6 am and changing his
> diaper, mowing my lawn and vacuuming and doing dishes.  It's like he's on
> Methamphetimene (sp) instead of Morphine.  We just try to get him to take
> it a little easy but if he's feeling a pain level of under 7, he's on the
> move.  A nurse told us it was the way he shows he's still in control.
> After Erica and I heard that we understood more.  This has been an
> education for sure.  His heart is very healthy they tell us.  Liver good
> too.  All organs are good except the bottom right lung and chest wall.
>     (Don't know if I really believe that)
> They won't give us a time becuz he's so young that anything could happen.
> Yes, I've been reading about the new CA 155 (can't find the paper for the
> right numbers) but it was in our local paper two days ago and also John
> called from his truck and told me to run down and buy the USA today.  It
> had a bigger and better article in it.  Saw it on MOL yesterday.  So
we've
> already sent the USA article to his doctor and we see her on Thursday.
> We've had lots of people out from the hospital to make sure he is doing
ok
> and we've just had a hell of a time trying to get him painfree or
> tolerable.
> I don't think about what this all means or I would be crying 24-7, and
> right now I have to be strong for him and do all that I can to see that
he
> gets all the best medical treatment out there including the clinical
> trials.  He's back on 5-FU  with a new drug "camptosar" ?  They
(including
> a second opinion at Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland)
thought