[MOL] David [01094] Medicine On Line

[MOL] David

Hi, David, so good to see you posting and to hear your perspective. I
think the big issue in the States as well as the UK is the patient's
right to make an informed choice about end of life matters, and to have
it respected and followed. For example, I am in my 40's, but prior to my
surgeries, I signed paperwork indicating the circumstances under which I
wanted "DNR." I spend a lot of time with folks in the hospital,
especially near the end of life, and here there is the tendency to go
too far in keeping people "technically alive." In other words, with a
pulse and not much else.

Once the various pieces of equipment are hooked up -- even if there is
no chance of recovery or response -- it is very hard to shut the
machines off, which can take a terrible toll on the family, emotionally
and financially. The dilemma is that even with that signed document,
Drs. will sometimes ignore it, or family members have to fight very hard
to have it honored. I have known folks who had requested "DNR" (and
stated so in writing) who were resucitated against their wishes while
the family was away from the bedside. This greatly prolonged the final
suffering for both patient and family.

So, we have to keep fighting to have our voices heard! All the best to
you David...love, Joicy